Jerusalem artichokes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Does anyone have recipe ideas for sun chokes? They are coming into season here and abundant (read: my neighbor just brought me a basket)

So far I've mashed em, cubed and roasted them and pickled a few for salads... I could use some inspiration.

Artichokes

Buonsera, Good Afternoon Janet,

I love artichokes ... Here are a couple of Mediterranean suggestions:

1) bake artichokes filled with bread crumbs, either a vegetarian stuffing for example, mushrooms in season or fresh sautéed spinach, pinenuts and garlic ... or stuffed with pancetta or Proscuitto di Parma with bread crumbs and Pinenuts ... Herbs, Evoo ...

2) Sautéed in Evoo with garlic and spinach ... see photo.

Attachments

• artichoke.jpg
    artichoke.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Charlie,

Thanks so much for your compliment and feedback.

It is very healthy and quite tasty too, with the pinenuts and garlic & Evoo ...

All my best for a lovely August.
Margi.

Janet,

You can treat them like potatoes, bake, boil, steam, mash, roast. Add them to any dish you would add potatoes to. Also they are great shaved onto a salad.

Buonsera, Good Afternoon Janet,

I love artichokes ... Here are a couple of Mediterranean suggestions:

1) bake artichokes filled with bread crumbs, either a vegetarian stuffing for example, mushrooms in season or fresh sautéed spinach, pinenuts and garlic ... or stuffed with pancetta or Proscuitto di Parma with bread crumbs and Pinenuts ... Herbs, Evoo ...

2) Sautéed in Evoo with garlic and spinach ... see photo.

Hmm - I think we are discussing two different plants.. not sure these could be reasonably stuffed.

Jerusalem artichoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Janet,

You can treat them like potatoes, bake, boil, steam, mash, roast. Add them to any dish you would add potatoes to. Also they are great shaved onto a salad.

How would they do scalloped?

Oh no.

Oh no no no.

Nooooo

V bad experience in the windypops department. Never again.

Interesting - I don't know that was a known side effect but now that you mention it.... :ohmy:

I think Margi is referring to the globe artichoke , related to the thistle, which is different to Jerusalem artichokes, related to the sunflower which are underground tubers .

The latter are lethal for bad windy pops . Am still traumatised

Janet: There are numerous Artichoke varieties

There are two main types in the Mediterranean where I am. There is the common prickly oval shaped that one peels and pulls off the violet tinged green armor battle suit and there is a delicate heart in the centre ... The hearts are delightful and these can be baked and stuffed.

Then, as per the photo, these are Italian.

I see, the variety from your link, is physically, not taste wise; more of a Tuber, similiar to the shape of a Malanga, a Caribbean & Cuban Tuber which is used for sweetening milk given to children.

It can be fried like Yuca as well and served with a garlic and lime Mojo, salsa.

However, I have not seen Jerusalem Artichokes here yet, however, what is their taste profile ?

Thanks for posting, very interesting.
Margi.

Last edited:
How would they do scalloped?

I don't know, I haven't tried that. I've only used them raw on salads or in broth soups. They might lose their flavor in a cream base. Could always try a small one (4 oz ramekin), if you have enough to experiment with.

Soup made from Jerusalem artichokes is divine. Boil them with a bit of milk or half water half milk until soft. Whizz until smooth and then add some cream and season well. A very nutty, taste.

Margi--Jerusalem artichokes are not artichokes nor do they have anything to do with Jerusalem. The artichoke part comes in because they supposedly taste like artichoke hearts, and the Jerusalem comes from gira-sol, which means follow the sun--the flowers turn to face the sun.

I like them, but I really can't eat them--the 'windy pops' :ermm: make me too uncomfortable.

Janet,

They do physically look very much like a Cuban western African origin Tuber called Malanga ...

I have never seen these in Spain ... nor Italy ...

Gravy Queen: yes, the thistle artichoke in photo is from Italy ... However, Navarra also has these.

The armored variety are also grown in the Basque Country and La Rioja ... and Barcelona ...

I shall look in El Corte Ingles, when I return to Madrid.

Last edited:
I think Margi is referring to the globe artichoke , related to the thistle, which is different to Jerusalem artichokes, related to the sunflower which are underground tubers .

The latter are lethal for bad windy pops . Am still traumatised

I roasted sunchokes a year or so ago and they were delicious but they gave my partner uncontrollable diarrhea and me some hideous and socially embarassing gas.

Kimmo and Sparrow,

Thanks for all your informationa and details on this variety of vegetable.

Sparrow, yes I know gira ( to turn ), and sol is sun, and girasol is sunflower or an Oil from the sunflower ... I live in Spain 20 yrs., however, Thanks for your information on this odd veggie.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Cerise,

Thanks for the link, valuable information.

Jenny,

So sorry to hear ... I know the feeling with Soy or any product with soy in it ... I am highly allergic to Soy and cannot have it in any form whatsoever.

Empathy. Must avoid like plague.

Regards, Margaux.

Back
Top Bottom