ISO - Thin Crispy Pizza Crust Recipe Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey Guys :)

I am after a tried, tested and loved thin pizza crust recipe, has anyone got any they would like to share?

We just bought a Pizza Stone today and wanting to get into making our own pizzas :chef:

We definitely prefer the thinner crispier crust...so any of those recipes will be great :)

Also we dont mind medium thickness crusts either :)

I would say the thin one...thin and crispy is what we would prefer...so I will say the Chicago Cracker base, thanks :)

This will yield two 14in pies

AP Flour (100%): 373.83 g | 13.19 oz | 0.82 lbs
Water (50%): 186.92 g | 6.59 oz | 0.41 lbs
IDY (.5%): 1.87 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Salt (1%): 3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.67 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Oil (8%): 29.91 g | 1.05 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.65 tsp | 2.22 tbsp
Sugar (1%): 3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.94 tsp | 0.31 tbsp

Make dough 48-72 hrs ahead (absolute minimum is 24 hrs.; my personal preference is 72; still great after 96 hrs), kept in fridge until a couple hrs before baking. Punch down as needed during the first 12-24 hrs. I like to separate out the dough balls after the first 24 hrs. of rising as one mass.

When making the dough, dump all the dry ingredients into the mixer bowl, stir to combine, and then add the liquids. Mix until it the dough comes together, and then let it sit for 20 minutes, covered, to hydrate. Resume with kneading until windowpane stage (5-10 mins).

Roll out your 300 g dough ball to 14", which is just under the size of a typical pizza stone. The pizza will cook directly on the stone--no cutter pan or screen or anything. (I have lately been assembling on foil on the peel, just because I'm lazy and that's easier and less messy to slide onto the stone than cornmeal. Do whatever way you like, but you should not pan the pizza.)

Top with sauce. I like to go pretty heavy.

Add sausage (ideally), raw and flattened out a bit, or however you like it.

Add any veggies or other toppings.

Top with about 6 oz (by weight) of shredded mozz; if you really want more, that's fine, but don't put more than 8 oz. (if you are using pre-shredded stuff, it's about 1 1/2 c to make 6 oz by weight)

IV. BAKING

Preheat a baking stone to 500° for one hour and reduce to 450° before putting in the pie. (I like putting my stone on an upper rack, but you know your oven and local conditions better than I do. I only know my oven.)

Carefully slide the assembled pizza onto the hot baking stone. Bake at 450° for about 10 minutes (or 9-13 minutes, depending on your oven and your desired doneness).

When the cheese starts to brown and the crust looks golden, remove from oven and let stand on a cooling rack for 6-7 minutes before cutting. [NOTE: The cooling rack is a key step, since it lets air under the crust to cool it and allow steam to escape; otherwise, if left on a pan, the crust will soften and no longer have that the desired texture on the bottom. If you do not have a cooling rack, jury rig something. At the very least, you can cool the pizza on cheap, non-waxy paper plates, which I have used with some success, since they are porous.]

Kylie, here's our favorite pizza crust.

Hi Kylie. You have been so very sweet to me. Got in to your thread late, but here's the crust we like the most. We like thin crust too and you can roll this out as thin as you like & you can use the food processor to make the dough, it comes out great. Try it, you'll like it alot :yum: (see below)

Hey Guys :)

I am after a tried, tested and loved thin pizza crust recipe, has anyone got any they would like to share?

We just bought a Pizza Stone today and wanting to get into making our own pizzas :chef:

PIZZA DOUGH (this makes one large pizza, or 2 smaller depending how thin you roll the crust)

1 package dry yeast (or 2 tsp.)
1 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup warm water
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. olive oil

Dissolve yeast & sugar in the 2/3 cup warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
Insert metal blade into the workbowl of the food processor.
Add the flour & salt. Pulse a couple times to combine.
With the machine running, pour the liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour absorbs it.
Process until dough cleans the sides of the workbowl and forms a ball.
Then process for 30 seconds longer. Dough may be slightly sticky.
Coat the dough all around with olive oil.
Transfer dough to a plastic food storage bag (sprayed w/non-stick) or to a lightly oiled bowl (covered with plastic or moist towel)
Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
Place dough on floured surface and punch down.
Roll into desired crust size(s)
Follow with pizza recipe.
I usually bake at 400 - 425 for 15 - 20 minutes.
I also like to sprinkle olive oil around the edges of the crust before baking :)

Last edited:
Kylie, I am 'assuming' you have a food processor. If not, then just combine ingredients and knead by hand for approx. 7 or 8 minutes. The baking time is approximate too, depending on how much toppings you put on your pizza. I am making pizza for dinner tonight and tripped over your thread. enjoy :)

Thanks so much Chef M and Merstar :)

Chef, that recipe is similar to the one we use but the olive oil is different ;)

Yes, we do have a food processor and will certainly give this one a go :)

Do you use a pizza stone?

We do and we cook it on 250c (480F) for 10 minutes on a pizza stone and with the fan force on...the pizza stone we preheat in the oven for 30 minutes beforehand too :)

Thanks so much Chef M and Merstar :)

Chef, that recipe is similar to the one we use but the olive oil is different ;)

Yes, we do have a food processor and will certainly give this one a go :)

Do you use a pizza stone?

We do and we cook it on 250c (480F) for 10 minutes on a pizza stone and with the fan force on...the pizza stone we preheat in the oven for 30 minutes beforehand too :)

I do have a small pizza stone, but I rarely use it. I like using my larger pan which is a dark metal non-stick w/holes. I was thinking that maybe the recipe I gave to you won't be the crispy crust that you want. I like that it can be rolled & stretched to the desired thinness though. We like the way it tastes. Yes, dribbling a good tasting olive oil over the top of the crust adds some great flavor. I also like to use mozzarella with just a bit of cheddar (1/4 cup) sprinkled on top of that. :)

Last edited:
Well, we will give it a go Chef, as even if it is not crispy, it sounds nice :)

We use mozzarella too, but the addition of some cheddar sounds good...thanks for the tip :)

Well, we will give it a go Chef, as even if it is not crispy, it sounds nice :)

We use mozzarella too, but the addition of some cheddar sounds good...thanks for the tip :)

Hey Kylie, this is off your topic but just wondering. Do you have Trader Joe's down under? The reason I ask is that they have the greatest product called '21 Seasoning Salute' which I use on just about everything. Including pizza. It contains not salt (which is good because salt is cheap enough) and costs around $2 per bottle. I use it on all meats, veges, salads, you name it :yum:

It looks like I am late here but I was searching for something else and just saw this.

It just so happens I just ate a crunchy thin crust pizza I just made... :)

I will start by saying I am not the cook or the baker others are but... here is what I do when I want pizza and don't want to pay for it.

For a 12-14" thin, crunchy crust pizza.

1.5 c flour
1 pkg instant yeast
1/2 t salt
1/2 c warm water
1 T corn meal

Mix dry ingredients, form well and add water. Combine to form dough - knead about 3-4 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle pizza stone with corn meal. Roll out dough and prepake 3 minutes.

Add sauce and toppings being careful to spread out toppings that will release more water (vegetables). The edge of the dough can have more sauce and toppings and then get lighter towards the middle. I never put anything but light sauce and cheese in the middle (the "middle" being a circle about the size of a coffee cup)... I *think* this is one of the ways to help it get crunchy.

The pizza I just made had spinach, pepper jack cheese, spinach and homade sauce on it and was crunchy all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom