Fascinating old cookbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBeeton

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,
Many years ago I went though my Granny's old cook-books and made a list of some frugal wartime dishes that interested me. Since then I've lost the books (to my dismay!) and forgotten the titles, and all I have left is some cryptic notes hinting at them. I really want to find those recipes and I wonder if any detectives here can help me find the names of these books?
Here are the only clues I've got:
Clue for Book #1: "Pears"
Some recipes in it: Mock Goose on Page 811, Mock Crab on page 813, Mock Omelet on Page 819
I thought this book might have been "Pears Family Cookbook" by Bee Nilson, so I ordered it from a second hand bookshop, but those recipes were not inside. (I live in Australia and this book was available here in Granny's time.)

Clue for Book #2: “Large Beeton 1925?”
Clearly this is an edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management, but I cannot find which one.
Some recipes in it: Mock Hare Soup p. 1170, Mock Turtle Soup p. 149 & 138, Mock Fish Patties p. 1178,

Clue for Book #3: “”Small Beeton 1888?”
This must be another edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management, but again I cannot find it.
Some recipes in it: Mock Turtle Soup p. 90-91

Clue for Book #4: “Penguin”
I thought this might have been the “Penguin Cookery Book”, also by Bee Nilson, so I managed to find a copy but again, it turned out to be a false lead.
Some recipes in it: Mock Oyster Soup: p. 39, Mock Almond Paste, p. 612

Clue for Book #5 “English Cookery”
This turns out *not* to be “The English Cookery Book, Uniting Good Style with Economy”, Collected by A Committee of Ladies, ed. JH Walsh.1859. It’s not the nineteenth century “The English and Australian Cookery Book”, either.
Some recipes in it: Half-Pay Pudding p. 90, Nettle Beer p. 376, Roly Poly p. 105

Any help tracking down these fascinating old books will be GRATEFULLY received!
Mrs. B

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! I just discovered the existence of "Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management" and I think it's a perfect gift for a friend of mine. I'll go browsing the recipes on the website.

:)

Hard to believe this Isabella Beeton died at the age of 28, and from what I understand, started publishing her books at the age of 23 or 24. I just have to wonder how many of us today would accept someone of that age as an authority on household management and cooking. ;)

Times sure have changed.

Hard to believe this Isabella Beeton died at the age of 28, and from what I understand, started publishing her books at the age of 23 or 24. I just have to wonder how many of us today would accept someone of that age as an authority on household management and cooking. ;)
Times sure have changed.

Emily Post and her granddaughter (who took over after she died) were both young for the etiquette rules of society. But those rules have changed so drastically. No longer is a written note of 'thank you' on your best stationary the norm. An e-mail will do. Except for wedding gifts and funerals. I still am in the old school though. Maybe someday I will join today's world. :angel:

Times sure have changed.

Erma Bambauer was a young society newlywed wife who couldn't cook. So along with some of her friends they decided to learn and write a cookbook as they went along. Tthrough trial and error you now have "The Joy Of Cooking."

Thanks everyone for your help! I now have a lot of reading and browsing to do...
Meanwhile if anyone comes up with any other clues please post them here!

Mrs B

Erma Bambauer was a young society newlywed wife who couldn't cook. So along with some of her friends they decided to learn and write a cookbook as they went along. Tthrough trial and error you now have "The Joy Of Cooking."
That's not exactly true. Irma Bombauer was 54 years old when she published "The Joy of Cooking" and wrote it because her husband committed suicide and she needed money to support her family. She learned the basics of cooking from her husband, but was not a good cook herself. Most of the recipes in the book came from acquaintances. It's actually a pretty interesting story.

Emily Post and her granddaughter (who took over after she died) were both young for the etiquette rules of society.
Again, not to split hairs, but Emily Post was 50 years old when she wrote "Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics, and at Home".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom