Rhubarb Custard Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
This was my mom's pie recipe. I make it with a lattice crust.

Rhubarb Custard Pie

1 Double pie crust – your favorite recipe
Filling:
3 C rhubarb diced ( I use closer to 4 cups)
1 ½ C sugar
3 Tbsp flour
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp butter
2 eggs, beaten
--
A little milk
Sugar for top of pie

Heat oven to 400 F
Blend the sugar, flour, nutmeg and butter together. Place cut rhubarb in unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle dry ingredients over rhubarb. Beat eggs and pour over pie.

Add top crust. I like a lattice top crust.

Brush top crust with milk. Sprinkle a little sugar across the top.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Lower oven temp to 350 and continue baking 35- 40 minutes.

Cool on a cooling rack to room temp before serving. Refrigerate leftover pie.

Last edited:
Raw rhubarb or frozen works too. Measure before it thaws.

Ah-ha. So mom's recipe came off the crisco can. I think it's an old recipe too, as she made this from when I was a kid. She used crisco for pie crusts, and lard when we had it.

Raw rhubarb or frozen works too. Measure before it thaws.

Ah-ha. So mom's recipe came off the crisco can. I think it's an old recipe too, as she made this from when I was a kid. She used crisco for pie crusts, and lard when we had it.
I don't like rhubarb a whole lot--tolerate it, but blueberry pie or peach cream pie are my favorites--can absolutely walk away from pumpkin pie. But, this rhubarb custard pie was very, very good. I had gone back to MN to work between my year in Quebec City at Laval and the start of my grad studies in NB. On my way through to NB, I stayed at the apartment for a few days--my brother was still in QC. My housemate was still there finishing her M.A., and Nicole was the person who took my place. I asked her for the recipe and she gave me the Crisco box. I have made it several times for parties (when I knew there would be enough people to eat it). It is quite tasty and worth a try.

Last edited:
All recipes are inspired--look at all the variations for cabbage rolls. I'm sure your mom tweaked it--but what was more important is that this pie has a special place in your food memory and the foods that remind you of home. My grandma used to put the can of condensed milk in a water bath and make her own version of gjetost. I can still taste that end product...it wasn't her recipe, but she made it with love and it is mixed with fond memories of that place in my heart that will always be home. It is in her "cookbook," it is in the "family" cookbook, but it wasn't "her" recipe. But, our family has claimed it as one of our own. I do crave it every now and again...just like I crave her cabbage rolls and Swedish meatballs. Dorothy was right--there is no place like home and I think that a lot of that has to do with those foods we associate with home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom