trivia 9/4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 9/4

DID YOU KNOW...
The Yukon Territory is a triangle-shaped region of northwestern Canada that is 186,661 square miles, but has only 25,000 residents.

1. Which famous General said 'The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.' ?

2. What country did US troops invade in 1983?
3. A famous radio duo: one was named Andy, what was the other's name?
4. Name That Tune...
"Well bless my soul, what's wrong with me I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree"
5. What was the name of the ship that sped to the scene of The Titanic sinking and commenced the rescue?
6. The United States navy traces its origins to which war ?
a. - World War One
b. - War of 1812
c. - American Revolutionary War
d. - Civil War
7. Who partnered with Edward Williams to “cover the Earth” with their product ?
8. What is the more common name for spun sugar ?

TRUTH OR CRAP ??
In 1888, Richard W. Sears, along with his partner Alvah C. Roebuck, came up with the ground-breaking idea of selling to rural customers through a mail-order catalog, thus saving the customer the cost of the retailer’s, or “middle Man’s” mark-up, as well as allowing them access to goods otherwise unavailable to them.
1. George Patton
2. Grenada
3. Amos
4. “All Shook Up”
5. Carpathia
6. – c
7. (Henry) Sherman
8. Cotton Candy
CRAP !!
The first Sears Catalog was indeed published in 1881, but there the truth ends.
According to The National Mail Order Association, Benjamin Franklin is believed to have been the first cataloguer in the United States.
In 1744, he formulated the basic mail order concept when he produced the first catalogue, which sold scientific and academic books. He is also credited with offering the first mail order guarantee: "Those persons who live remote, by sending their orders and money to B. Franklin may depend on the same justice as if present".

The earliest surviving mail-order business, now known as Hammacher Schlemmer, was established by Alfred Hammacher in New York City in 1848. Offering mechanic's tools and builder's hardware, its first catalogue was published in 1881.

The first mail-order catalog by Montgomery Ward and Co. (of Chicago) was published in 1872. It was only a single sheet of paper! Ward started the company in 1872 with $2,400 capital and the aim of buying large quantities of merchandise wholesale and then selling it directly to farmers in rural areas without the help of retail intermediaries. By 1904, the Montgomery Ward catalog weighed four pounds. In 1985, the company closed its 113-year-old catalog operation and in 2000 it announced the closing of its retail stores.

WooHoo! I got all of them except T or C. If I had read that one a little more carefully, I possibly would have gotten it right.

Good Job Barb !!

Can you guess which question was missed the most, from all my posting sites, and my mailing group ??
I thought it would be the "gimme" of the day...................
logo-global-gateway.png

Back
Top Bottom