ISO advice w/freezing yeast dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnester

Assistant Cook
I have been trying to freeze extra dough. When I try to use one of the doughs it never rises the way I think it should. I have been freezing the dough after I knock it down from the first rise. Should I increase the yeast? They rise about 1/2 of what I would like to see. thanks!

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you would have good luck with extra left over dough. You might need extra yeast in the dough you plan to freeze to compensate for what doesn't survive the process. I don't think yeast likes the freezer.

I freeze pizza dough regularly. After the first rise I punch it down and divide the dough into two pieces. I prepare them for the second rise and bag and freeze one and use the other that day.

I defrost the frozen ball in the fridge then onto the kitchen counter to warm to room temp and rise again before making a pizza.

Make sure you allow the defrosted dough to come completely to room temperature. And handle gently. You don't want to punch or knead out all of the gas created by the yeast.

Are you freezing it before or after the second rise? You will get better results if you freeze it right after the first rise. When you allow it to rise after it has completely thawed and come to room temperature, then that should be the second rise. :angel:

thanks for all the responses. I froze it after the first rise and i had punched it down. I rose but only about 1/2 as much as i would have liked. maybe i was impatient. After it thaws in the frig and i take it to room temp about how long should it take to double?

thanks for all the responses. I froze it after the first rise and i had punched it down. I rose but only about 1/2 as much as i would have liked. maybe i was impatient. After it thaws in the frig and i take it to room temp about how long should it take to double?

Depends. Is is completely thawed? How warm is the room? If it hasn't doubled, wait longer.

Back
Top Bottom