Super hard working hubby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovex4

Assistant Cook
My hubby works 2 full time jobs... Literally 80 hours a week... He does not like meats reheated, and basically will only have leftover/reheated chicken....I'm running out of ideas, plus he loves pasta, again running out of ideas...I'd be great to be able to pack him lunches and try to save money on that....any input would be great!!!

To me certain meat dishes taste better after they're reheated, after being cooked and refrigerated. These dishes include pot roast, chili, goulash, chicken paprikash, meatballs and sausages cooked in spaghetti tomato sauce. A sandwich made from cold roast pork or fresh ham can also be quite tasty.
If I were working 80 hours a week I'd be eating a lot of spaghetti with aglio e olio and perhaps some hot pepper flakes and mushrooms and grated pecorino.

Last edited:
At 80 hours a week I would let him pick what he wanted to eat regardless of cost. I know the money savings might be an issue but whatever makes him happy and pacifies him. That ain't easy!

My hubby works 2 jobs but one full-time and one part-time, not as many hours as yours, but he still works hard and since he has a lot of food intolerances I find it difficult to send meals with him. Since most of his work is 3-11 pm shifts I make a main meal at 1 pm which consists of meat and vegetables, salad, sometimes rice or potatoes.

As justplainbill said, I will cook a roast (beef, pork - oven style or slow cooker) and we will have that for a meal and I portion and package the leftover meat and freeze it for sandwiches. If used within a couple of weeks it is very fresh and doesn't have to be reheated.

I also send plastic microwaveable containers with noodles and sauce (separately; he combines them just before cooking as they taste fresher that way). I take the sauce from the freezer and cook the noodles just before he leaves, rinsing them well in cold water. Chili and rice work this way too.

Not much new that others haven't said, but just my way of doing it. Hope it helps.

Maybe it's just him but my husband loves cold meatloaf sandwiches. :)

A similar theme, meatball sub with parm and other cheeses.

Maybe fried rice with egg, pork, chicken or bacon, and all sorts of vegs.

I would agree with 4 Me, if the man works 80 hours a week, fix him whatever he wants!

Last edited:
I have one of those two job husbands also. He had a job at a service station when I met him and he was in the Navy. And has had two jobs nearly ever since or one job and school full time. In "retirement" he still works this ranch and volunteers for the Sheriff's department three days a week. Apparently, I'm lucky, he's happy with left overs and thinks micro waves were invented just so he could have left overs when he got home from work at 1 a.m. He had already heard his father-in-law comment to my younger sibling "You don't like the supper? I'm sorry supper's over", so he knew the rules. The only thing I have babied him with, is his dis-like of fresh onions. That's enough to deal with trying to cook econo meals.

Wow....those of you with dual shift hubbies - blessings to y'all.

Now that winter is coming up, maybe it will be a bit easier to plan for their lunches. Hearty soups and stews, chili mixed with pasta or rice, casseroles and such, are easy to heat up in the microwave if they have one, or put in a heavy duty thermos if they don't. Maybe several pieces of garlic bread wrapped in foil, and veggies with ranch dressing on the side. Best wishes to you Lovex4. :)

When I used to have to work on site, I would make meals to take with me. Some of my favorite things were to bring hard boiled eggs, smoked oysters, fruit, dried fruit, a homemade mix re: nuts and fruit, eggplant Parmesan, lasagne, lazy-day cabbage roll casserole, leftover scalloped potatoes, and I would stop at the grocery store and pick up cereal, saltine crackers, and rice cakes to keep at my desk and yogurt and cheese to put in the fridge. The food I brought for lunch was what I ate at home. I kept a lot of food at my desk--I nibbled throughout the day. I usually had a big ziplock bag of airpopped popcorn at my desk as well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for some amazing ideas!!! This weeks menu consisted of meatloaf with noddles, stew, of course with half a loaf of Italian bread (my hubby is straight off the boat Sicilian lol), pickled chicken with rice, and sandwiches...tomorrow being Wednesday will most likely be left over sauce/pasta night!!! Thanks for all the motivation!! I am truly loving "discuss cooking" xoxox

Back
Top Bottom