Homegrown Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Harvested the lime (persian) tree today. After 2 years with no fruit due to a freeze and then a drought we had a bumper crop this year. About 2 bushels.

What would you do with bushels of limes?

I don't even want to hear about homegrown limes! I'm so jealous! I love limes and use so many limes. Well, you could pickle them (like preserved lemons, only using limes), you can juice and freeze the juice. You could make candied lime peel...you could infuse vodka...make lime sorbet...lime cookies...make margarita mix for the freezer...lime syrup...lime olive oil...

Last edited:
I don't even want to hear about homegrown limes! I'm so jealous! I love limes and use so many limes. Well, you could pickle them (like preserved lemons, only using limes), you can juice and freeze the juice. You could make candied lime peel...you could infuse vodka...make lime sorbet...lime cookies...make margarita mix for the freezer...

Lime trees grow very sharp 2" thorns. If it makes you feel better, it's a sticky situation to harvest. Have cuts and scratches through long sleeve shirt and heavy leather work gloves.

Harvested the lime (persian) tree today. After 2 years with no fruit due to a freeze and then a drought we had a bumper crop this year. About 2 bushels.

What would you do with bushels of limes?

I would mail them to PF...

I think the best bet would be to zest them and then juice them. Make room in the freezer. Then you can take your time deciding to make lime dishes out of them. My lemon curd recipe makes great lime curd...

Oooh. Mail to Dawgluver.

PF's lemon/lime curd. Non-key lime pie. Dehydrate in slices and use as Christmas decorations and on wreaths. I've done this, they look like stained glass, pretty. Lime vodka or lime cordial(steep huge amounts of slices jammed in a gallon glass jar in vodka for a couple months with superfine sugar), agree with others, freeze zest and juice. Lime granita, limeaid, cucumber lime juice. Cat helmet.

image-3335196758.jpg

Last edited:
Lime football helmets are not advised...they just make the cat mad and leave gross deposits in your shoes.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Lime football helmets are not advised...they just make the cat mad and leave gross deposits in your shoes.

Good point. They've just come out with new regulations.

U B Lucky 40 :cool:

No, I did not know lime trees have stickers.

Limes are never cheap and I like limes. Best place to buy limes is at the Mexican markets around here. But a whole bushel, zowie !!

Freeze the zest and juice and then decide as you need them.

Whiskadoodle said:
U B Lucky 40 :cool:

No, I did not know lime trees have stickers.

Limes are never cheap and I like limes. Best place to buy limes is at the Mexican markets around here. But a whole bushel, zowie !!

Freeze the zest and juice and then decide as you need them.

It's amazing how cheap limes are in Mexico. Wish we could take them back with us as they're so expensive here, but no can do, they'd be confiscated. What I also find interesting, they don't grow lemons where we go in Mexico. Had to mule down some ReaLemon juice for a friend. Huh.

forty_caliber said:
Trying out the Vodka Lime idea first.

Excellent choice, though I am disappointed that you aren't doing the cat helmets.

:LOL:

Last edited:
I like tanquerey Rangpur gin and tonic water with some of my homegrown limes. This gin or Boodles are the only ones I like so far.

I only have 4 limes this year after a bumper crop last year.

I left my limes on the tree and only picked them as needed. They stayed great for months. I think most citrus will stay on the tree better than in storage. At least in my area.

Excellent choice, though I am disappointed that you aren't doing the cat helmets.

No cats around here. I could try out a lime helmet on Daisy Duke the dachshund. I'm afraid Mrs 40 C wouldn't approve and it would upset Ellie-Mae the redbone hound.

forty_caliber said:
No cats around here. I could try out a lime helmet on Daisy Duke the dachshund. I'm afraid Mrs 40 C wouldn't approve and it would upset Ellie-Mae the redbone hound.

I totally understand. Beagle would never approve of that nonsense either. I just figured you might have a cat or two.

I'm sure there is a barrel of tequila somewhere looking to hook up with a "few" limes and party for a week or so.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom