Please help - Cream Cheese question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drl

Assistant Cook
I'm having a argument with someone on this..... Is there cheese in some form or the other in cream cheese??

Thank you!! I said that there was cheese in a cream cheese cake and she said no it's not cheese its cream cheese, and I said thats still cheese and she said no it's not.

Cream cheese is cheese. It's a fresh cheese (not aged) similar to the French Neufchatel. In fact, it was "invented" in the USA by someone trying to create French Neufchatel.

Cream cheese has a higher fat content than Neufchatel. If you check out a package of Philadelphia brand 1/3 less fat cream cheese, you'll see that it's labeled as Neufchatel.

If the milk forms a curd and you're eating the curds, you're eating cheese!

Yep - cream cheese is cheese - just not as hard, processed or aged as other cheeses.

Andy M. said:
Cream cheese is cheese. It's a fresh cheese (not aged) similar to the French Neufchatel. In fact, it was "invented" in the USA by someone trying to create French Neufchatel.

Cream cheese has a higher fat content than Neufchatel. If you check out a package of Philadelphia brand 1/3 less fat cream cheese, you'll see that it's labeled as Neufchatel.

personally andy m, i only buy neufchatel, i much prefer the flavor and texture and the lower fat and calories is a plus.

norgeskog:

I switched to the neufchatel as a weight control measure. It's not as tasty (IMO) as real cream cheese with a bagel and lox, but it's not awful.

Andy M.

I think that cream cheese has less fat than butter and since neufchatel has 1/3 less fat than cream cheese, I have used it as a butter substitute on toast, etc. Add just a little bit of preserves, etc. and it is not bad.

Back
Top Bottom