Burekas - the knish of the middle east!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
Only 150 here. Last time I made 300 just the two of us! Couldn't look at puff pastry for a month.

Spinach and cheese
Beef and allspice
Potato and onion

They are awesome and you can buy them pre made I'm most kosher supermarkets ( I would presume middle eastern as well)

Attachments

• image-4115859310.jpg
    image-4115859310.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 217
Very nice. I'll bet the puff pastry makes them light and elegant as well as delicious. Our family's version of 'bereg' with a plain dough similar to a pie crust. They were more like turnovers/empanadas. I'll have to think about using puff pastry next time.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Very nice. I'll bet the filo makes them light and elegant as well as delicious. Our family's version of 'bereg' with a plain dough similar to a pie crust. They were more like turnovers/empanadas. I'll have to think about using filo next time.

These are puff pastry. Have made them with Filo before and are delicious also but the dough is too delicate to franticly make 300 by hand. Puff pastry is a trooper. I never made then with ny own dough but have seen many recipes for it. Will try one day at home but if you ever need to make several hundred in a pinch puff pastry is the way to go.

These are puff pastry. Have made them with Filo before and are delicious also but the dough is too delicate to franticly make 300 by hand. Puff pastry is a trooper. I never made then with ny own dough but have seen many recipes for it. Will try one day at home but if you ever need to make several hundred in a pinch puff pastry is the way to go.

I saw my error and corrected the post. Yes, filo would be a pain. I've seen them done with filo too. I don't think I'd sign up for making 300.

They're lovely, Siegal, and I would bet they're oh so tasty!

lyndalou said:
How about posting a recipe or two?

Sure

Meat: cooked ground beef, toasted pin nuts, fried onions, allspice, salt

Potato: mashed potato, butter, chopped parsley, fried onion, egg, salt and pepper

Spinach: squeezed dry frozen thawed spinach, fried onion, grated cheese (muenster), eggs, salt pepper

Fill in puff pastry squares. Seal with water. Brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds. Baked at 350-75 about 25 min - depends of its commercial convection oven or whatever.

They are super simple but yummy. They like them for catering bc they can eat with one hand and continue working with other! Haha.

Last edited:
Is that something like a savoury version of galaktobourekos?
Not really. Bourek simply means pie, usually made with phylo dough. I am sure that puff pastry would taste great -- it always does! -- but the traditional way is to make bourek with phylo. If you take a standard sheet (I always buy mine, though I make my own puff pastry, because the store version is a pretty poor, butterless apology for the real thing) about 8" wide by 16" or so, you can fold it length wise and then make a triangle about 4" and keep folding until you have a triangular pie about 4"x4"x51/2" which is about 16 (8x2) leaves of phylo, and quite sturdy.

Only 150 here. Last time I made 300 just the two of us! Couldn't look at puff pastry for a month.

Spinach and cheese
Beef and allspice
Potato and onion

They are awesome and you can buy them pre made I'm most kosher supermarkets ( I would presume middle eastern as well)

BEAUTIFUL, Siegal! I used to pick up the Beef & potato at a little Mom & Pop Armenian restaurant. Delish! I make a similar dish, bierocks (ground beef, cabbage onions - cheese is optional). Thank you for sharing the pics, etc. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom