What's Cooking Friday, September 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
No thread started? What's up with that?

I'm working on cooking what's necessary from my latest bounty, hunted and gathered at the grocery stores(s).

The crabmeat that I wanted to stuff into portabella mushrooms, will be turned into crabcakes, now that I came up with a recipe that I think will work this time. I made salmon cakes that came out great, so I'll try that one. (Sorry Ma, maybe next time.)

I wanted whole portabellas, but was only able to find slices, so I'll just go ahead and cook some of them in garlic butter and have them on the side. (I got two packages, so I'll have more later.)

I also have a 2# pork sirloin roast that is in the oven now, braising over apple juice and covered with bacon since there wasn't much of a fat cap.

I'm cooking that really slow at 250°, until an internal temp. of 185° for super tender pork. I'll put some in the freezer for later, and keep some in the fridge for dinner tomorrow, either BBQ or smothered in gravy.

I've also got the ingredients for super simple fudge, (chips, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla) and have walnuts, pecans and cashews to use, either, or all.

That's what I'm cooking today. What are you cooking?

Last edited:
We'll have hot dogs tonight. I actually have polish sausages to cook and will serve them like hot dogs. Have chili, cheese, sauerkraut for toppings. (I like the kraut, the guys like the chili). Not sure what will be served with them. I have some German potato salad or some leftover cheesy rice. Salads are possible also.

We're going to have another one of the meals that I set aside to eat after the surgery. I think tonight will be Luca's lasagna for me and cauliflower dish for my SO

Leftover night here.

I'm not sure yet if it will be just straight leftover or if I'll get creative and make something new out of them.

Tonight's going to be a salad. Of course, it's going to be an epic salad, with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, celery, green onion, sunflower seeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, pineapple, mandarin oranges, & probably chicken strips.
I basically just throw everything sitting around the kitchen into my salads XD

Last night we went out to an Indian Restaurant, it was lovely!

We had Samosas, Fish Masala, Chicken Tikka Masala, Cheese Naan, Stuff Kulcha Naan and saffron rice :yum:

Steve Kroll said:
We're in Galena, IL this weekend celebrating F-I-L's 80th birthday. Tonight we're eating here:

Galena Restaurant Fried Green Tomatoes, Galena, IL

Looks like some pretty tasty options. :yum:

That's Claire's town! Pretty area. Happy Birthday to your FIL! The menu sounds great!

We're trying to decide where to go out to eat. Had many chocolate based snacks at today's afternoon meeting, so not terribly hungry yet, though DH is.

Last edited:
Had the leftover spaghettinni from yesterday and some of the leftover pesto. There's still a fair bit of pesto left. It was pretty good.

In honor of Andy's recovery, I am typing with one hand. Not quite the same thing, but I get a general idea of the predicament and the ways we take things for granted. I'm eating take and bake sausage/ mushroom pizza with the other hand while I type.

For the final supper of the summer, we had meatloaf, homemade mac and cheese, tossed rabbit food, and homemade apple pie.
Every time you type "rabbit food" I'm reminded of a friend who says, "Vegetables? That's what food eats."

Hoot said:
For the final supper of the summer, we had meatloaf, homemade mac and cheese, tossed rabbit food, and homemade apple pie.

:( Last day of summer, Hoot.

Oh well, we get another summer next year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom