Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Brownies & Dessert Bars (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f102/)
-   -   Peter Pumpkin Bars (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f102/peter-pumpkin-bars-81786.html)

bakechef 09-21-2012 06:40 PM

Peter Pumpkin Bars

This recipe is from my mom's church cookbook, they were submitted by my grandmother's neighbor. The name of the recipe was "Peter Pumkin Bars" so that's how we always referred to them. My mom made these every year in the fall. This is the original recipe only calling for cinnamon as the spice, but feel free to spice them up a bit if that's your thing! Like any baked good with spices, these will taste best the next day, when the flavors have a chance to meld. I topped with walnuts because that's how my mom always did it and for me this is a must! Hope you enjoy!

http://bakingbetter.com/g1/var/resiz...G?m=1348181718

Pumpkin Bars

From Bakingbetter.com

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix!
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 2/3 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed
4 eggs
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats or quick oats (not instant)
1 tablespoon cinnamon*
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 cake pan by spraying with no-stick cooking spray.

In a bowl, mix together pumpkin, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and eggs, stir to mix well.

In a sifter or whisked together in a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon (or spice mix), baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the flour mixture all at once to the pumpkin mixture and stir just to combine, a few small lumps are OK. Stir in oats and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it tests done. Let cool completely.

*for a spicier bar, use 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. You and also make your own spice blend (cloves, ginger, nutmeg etc…) to equal roughly 1 tablespoon.

Cream cheese icing

4 oz. (½ a bar) room temperature cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (½ a stick) room temperature butter
2 cups powdered confectioners sugar

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth, spread over cooled bars.

LPBeier 09-21-2012 06:42 PM

Looks great, Bakechef! I think I will try these.

Aunt Bea 09-21-2012 06:47 PM

I need to give these a try!

I have not seen a recipe for pumpkin bars that contained oatmeal, sounds good.

I think a streusel topping might work on these for a brunch treat.

I am so happy that the eating/baking season has begun! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

Thanks for sharing!

bakechef 09-21-2012 06:52 PM

You're welcome!

For me the oatmeal makes them special. They are just a childhood comfort food.

I bet struesel with lots of cinnamon and brown sugar would be great! The batter is thick enough to support a struesel without it sinking.

I put most of them in the freezer so I wouldn't keep eating them. Well that plan isn't working so well, they only take 10 seconds to thaw in the microwave...

Aunt Bea 09-21-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakechef (Post 1188337)

I put most of them in the freezer so I wouldn't keep eating them. Well that plan isn't working so well, they only take 10 seconds to thaw in the microwave...

I understand, believe me I understand! :pig:

Addie 09-21-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea (Post 1188339)
I understand, believe me I understand! :pig:

Ditto! :rofl::rofl: Time to turn the oven on! :angel:

Andy M. 09-21-2012 07:43 PM

Gotta get SO to make these soon! Thanks

kadesma 09-21-2012 08:01 PM

Grandson , loves pumpkin so will be making these for him and the rest for a treat. Thanks for sharing.
kades

PrincessFiona60 09-21-2012 08:07 PM

Thanks, BakeChef, copied and I have most of the ingredients.

letscook 09-22-2012 05:37 AM

These look and sound great. Thank you