Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   I only have "these" ingredients...help me be creative (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f126/)
-   -   I need inspiration! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f126/i-need-inspiration-81802.html)

Janet H 09-23-2012 05:00 PM

I need inspiration!
 
What do I serve with fresh artichokes?

Today a friend brought over 2 GIANT artichokes (which I just adore) but for dinner tonight I had planned chicken breasts (w/ skin and ribs) and some rice and a salad of some sort. The chicken is thawed and I need to use the artichokes tonight. I think that artichokes deserve some nice crispy french bread (which I could get), but then the rice seems like overkill.

How would you round out this menu?

Chicken breasts
Steamed Artichokes
French bread

kadesma 09-23-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet H (Post 1188916)
What do I serve with fresh artichokes?

Today a friend brought over 2 GIANT artichokes (which I just adore) but for dinner tonight I had planned chicken breasts (w/ skin and ribs) and some rice and a salad of some sort. The chicken is thawed and I need to use the artichokes tonight. I think that artichokes deserve some nice crispy french bread (which I could get), but then the rice seems like overkill.

How would you round out this menu?

Chicken breasts
Steamed Artichokes
French bread

A platter of fresh fruit or a green Ceasar salad. I'd par boi the chokes then cut in half cut out or scrape out the thistle and grill them after I'd marinated them in evoo and white balsamic. I love them like this. My daughters invention.
ma-kades

PrincessFiona60 09-23-2012 05:06 PM

If you feel you must have a starch, buttered egg noodles with fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of nutmeg would taste good.

Kayelle 09-23-2012 05:20 PM

I love artichokes, but to me they don't qualify as a vegetable, although I know they are. Maybe it's just me.
The bread is your starch, so I'd serve a green salad to round out the meal.

Is there a reason you must serve them with the meal tonight?

Janet H 09-23-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayelle (Post 1188922)

Is there a reason you must serve them with the meal tonight?

Yes - I have a weird week coming up and will not be cooking anything except desserts for the next few days (going to dinners elsewhere for the next few nights) - I don't want to store them in my fridge for 6 days.

mollyanne 09-23-2012 06:09 PM

You could do a Chicken Piccata with Lemon, Capers, and Artichokes on a bed of rice and spinach. I'd sprinkle a few pieces of sundried tomatoes around for color too.

Or you could do a salad with garlic chicken, artichokes, fresh tomatoes, and freshly grated parmesan

PrincessFiona60 09-23-2012 06:29 PM

Yum, Mollyanne's inspirations sound wonderful!

giggler 09-23-2012 06:44 PM

When I get The Big ones, I steam 1 hr then serve as an appatizer with dip..

fun for all to peel the leaves off..

for eating as an ingrediant, I use the very small artis..

Eric, Austin Tx.

Janet H 09-23-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollyanne (Post 1188930)
You could do a Chicken Piccata with Lemon, Capers, and Artichokes on a bed of rice and spinach. I'd sprinkle a few pieces of sundried tomatoes around for color too.

Or you could do a salad with garlic chicken, artichokes, fresh tomatoes, and freshly grated parmesan


Love the suggestions but the chicken breasts are being roasted as is with some cajun seasoning and with the intent of the leftovers being served cold at a picnic tomorrow. I'm actually cooking a whole pile of these tonight and so basically just want to serve these as is tonight.

I'm considering a small corn custard (corn, eggs, milk, cheese) and a side plate sliced tomatoes but think it's still a weird menu. I need to start cooking soon-ish...
Roasted chicken parts
Steamed artichokes w/ lemon butter
Crusty bread
Corn casserole/souffle thing (can cook with chicken and satisfies vegetarian in house)
Sliced garden tomatoes on rocket
Has anyone ever chopped up capers in artichoke butter before? Molly annes post got me craving capers....

Cerise 09-23-2012 07:24 PM

Keep the rice & make a tomato & artichoke salad.

Artichoke Heart And Tomato Salad Recipe - Food.com - 460021


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.