Anyone got a genuine German Mustard recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkstream

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a genuine German mustard recipe?

From family/immigrants that has been handed down, or from any German members?

I remember it as being dark brown, somewhat sweet, perhaps a bit beery, perhaps a flavour of dill in the background, with perhaps some mild fruit overtones. And mild. maybe a little sour too.

But this may be a false memory.

I do remember that it was QUITE diferent from English or French mustard.

German Mustard

Hello Darkstream,

There is no TRUE German mustard recipe. Every family has their own recipe for German mustard, just as every Indian family has their own recipe for Garam Masala. I would suggust that you experiment (like I have been with Indian cuisine), to find the recipe that suits your tastebuds. Good luck on your search! I will watch this post with interest as I happen to love mustard in all of it's incarnations! Warm regards, Lori

well, here's a recipe that you can play around with to get to what you remember...

Hot Sweet German Mustard Recipe

1/3 cup brown mustard seeds
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon honey
1 dash dried tarragon

Grind mustard seeds in spice grinder.
In small bowl, combine mustard seeds, vinegar, oil, honey and tarragon and stir until smooth and pastelike.
Store in refrigerator in small, tightly lidded jar.

makes 1/3 cup

Good Luck!

Darkstream said:
Thanks, is it one you use?

Is it traditionaly German?

Regards,

Have made it; tastes like mustard alright!
(mostly buy mine - just lazy)

As to it being authenically German, it is as far as I know, but can't guarantee anything. I got the recipe from a friend who is Norwegian.

Good Luck!

Well, OK I will give it a go.

I guess Norway is relatively close!!!

There are a number of recipes on the net, but I was hoping for some German members or of that extraction who might advise me.

Thanks.

ti.gif
ee.gif

Here is my version of German mustard...
Take one pound of brown mustard seed/ one pound of yello mustard seed,
one pound of yello mustard flour (spenzys on the net) 1/2 pound of dark brown sugar and 8 ounces of red wine vinegar and and enough distilled white vinegar to make a loose paste, salt to taste. let set on the counter for severl days and taste and ajust taste to suit add more sugar dill/ tarragon/
when satisfied jar in steril jars and refrigerate. will keep for ever in the frig.
I generly make this twice a year and it has the taste I was raised with. I was raised in a German Jewish community and this was all we ever ate.
Dave Hutchins

Back
Top Bottom