Help with Flax seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Does anyone bake much with flax seed?
I have a favorite butternut squash muffin recipe. I roasted the squash today and will be making the muffins tomorrow. I just bought a giant bag of "Cold Milled Golden Flax" a few weeks ago. So far I've only added it to cereals. I was toying with the idea of adding some to my muffins. The package says that it can be used (when combined properly with water) in place of egg. If I add it to the flour will it make my final product too eggy? If I have to omit the egg to use it, it's not really worth it, since i already use whole wheat flour and would be losing the protein from the eggs.

Also, if I use it, how much should I start with? The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour and 4 eggs.

I would just experiment, and I figure I'll likely need to tweak a bit, but it makes such a large batch I'd like to avoid the entire batch being a disaster if I can. :) Any input would be appreciated!

Does anyone bake much with flax seed?
I have a favorite butternut squash muffin recipe. I roasted the squash today and will be making the muffins tomorrow. I just bought a giant bag of "Cold Milled Golden Flax" a few weeks ago. So far I've only added it to cereals. I was toying with the idea of adding some to my muffins. The package says that it can be used (when combined properly with water) in place of egg. If I add it to the flour will it make my final product too eggy? If I have to omit the egg to use it, it's not really worth it, since i already use whole wheat flour and would be losing the protein from the eggs.

Also, if I use it, how much should I start with? The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour and 4 eggs.

I would just experiment, and I figure I'll likely need to tweak a bit, but it makes such a large batch I'd like to avoid the entire batch being a disaster if I can. :) Any input would be appreciated!

It just says it CAN be used in place of egg. I would do like TL said and replace flour with it, not the egg. Try the 1/2 cup first and see if you like the texture. I wouldn't go more than 25% of subbing for flour.

And if the whole batch goes south...birds gotta eat, too!;)

Vegans use flax seed meal mixed with water in a 1:3 ratio as a substitute for eggs in baking. I think that 4Tbs of the goopy mixture substitutes for one egg. So next time you fancy some nice scrambled eggs ... ;>

Thanks for the info, all! I ended up using the squash for dinner that night, as I ran out of time. I have two more, though, so I'm hoping to roast one up and try again this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom