Need help w/Magellan GPS device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I just replaced my old Garmin GPS with a Magellan one.

Now, I have to say, first, that I'm not terribly "device savvy," so bear with me.

I've read the instruction manual from cover to cover and have visited Magellan's website and I am still at a loss to understand a couple of issues.

First, included with the device there was a short "cable" that connects to the GPS unit and the other end appears to be able to connect to a computer, but there's no information as to what this cable is for.

Secondly, when I was on the Internet site, I downloaded their "content manager," which is my own personal file that allows me to view my device usage and to create an address book.

Okay, that's well and fine to be able to create an address book, but what do I do with it? Intuition says to hook the "cable" to the GPS unit and to the computer and, then, to download my computer-generated address book to the GPS unit. Am I correct in surmising this? I have not found anything to this effect in either the instruction book or the website.

I tried to phone Magellan but, after nearly 30 minutes on hold, I gave up.

So....here I am asking my knowledgeable friends here at DC for a solution to my dilemma.

Your intuition is correct. You are to hook the GPS up to the computer to download updates to maps etc and the address book is likely part of that as well.

Thanks, Alix. I've been stumbling around with the device and have, successfully, created a fairly accurate address book.

I'm still a bit puzzled about some of the functions which, unfortunately, don't seem to be explained anywhere.

Tomorrow will be my first opportunity to put it through its paces and, through that exercise, I imagine I'll learn more.

Fingers are crossed.

Back
Top Bottom