Condiments. The ones you love and the ones you hate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Since there is such a massive market for condiments I thought it would be interresting to see which ones you all love and which ones you can live without.

I love original tabasco, hot german mustard, worcestershire sauce (maggi lazenby's not lee and perrins), balsamic and malt vinegar, HP sauce.

Ones I could go without- ketchup, sweet mustard, mayo, bbq sauce, chutney, salad dressing (prefer my salad naked or with some chilli and lemon)

I HATE yellow mustard. I will eat Gulden's dark mustard, but only on certain foods. I bought a small jar two years ago. It is still sitting in the fridge almost full. It doesn't go bad. It has vinegar in it and that is a preservative. :angel:

I don't care for pickle relish.

I'm not a big condiment eater, I'll eat ketchup on a hotdog, bbq sauce on ribs or pulled pork/chicken, mustard on occasion, mayonnaise on burgers or sandwiches.

I'm the type that will eat chicken tenders naked if they are really good ones, or with just a tiny bit of sauce. If they are mediocre ones, I'll give them a good dip in honey mustard sauce.

Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF. :angel:

Now you have me thinking. I could drink ketchup right out of the bottle. (Ah, heartburn galore!) Eat hot dogs with sauerkraut only. Very thin layer of mayo of rare sandwiches. (don't like bread) Prefer butter. Relish is for potato salad. BBQ sauce only if it has been cooked on the meat. Salsa on an omelet. Seafood chili sauce for steamed shrimp. Or melted butter. I prefer my food unadorned. Just salt on FF. :angel:

OH MY GOODNESS, I love butter ( not margerine).
Pickles, salsa and pesto are great too but I prefer homemade :yum:
What is FF?

Snip, FF is french fries. :)

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!

Last edited:
I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine. :ohmy:

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.

Last edited:
Don't like: Miracle Whip, some salad dressings (the one's that are real sweet)

Like: ketchup, mustard, oils, vinegars, relishes, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, fish sauce, some salad dressings, salts, peppers, salsas, chilies, mayonnaise, pickles, olives, capers...how much time do you have?

Snip, FF is french fries. :)

Love - mayo, tartar sauce, soy sauce, guacamole, grainy mustard, dijon, sour cream, homemade BBQ sauce (others are too sweet) and most vinegars and relish.

Dislike - Ketchup, regular mustard, salsa (unless it is fresh),

Addie, I too will only eat a hot dog with sauerkraut! And butter is great on everything!

:LOL: Feel really stupid now, French Fries won't forget that!
Glad to see I'm not the only person that doesn't like ketchup, the only kind I've liked so far was a homemade recipe from Jamie Oliver I made a few times.

I'm kind of a DIY-er. With the exception of vinegar and Worcestershire, I make almost all of my own condiments. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ, hot sauces (both fresh and fermented), mayo - I've pretty much made it all. Even a few odd ones like mushroom ketchup. Since I don't really follow set recipes for this kind of thing, they come out a little different every time I make them.

Some day I may give vinegar-making a try. But to be honest, I'm just a little leery about having live vinegar culture in the same house as all my wine. :ohmy:

And I do keep a bottle of Heinz ketchup in the fridge. Though I don't use it much myself, if we have kids over to the house, they seem to like it better than my homemade stuff, which doesn't taste much like the Heinz product.

Green with envy :angel: I'm coming to raid your fridge :LOL:

Don't like: Miracle Whip, some salad dressings (the one's that are real sweet)

Like: ketchup, mustard, oils, vinegars, relishes, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, fish sauce, some salad dressings, salts, peppers, salsas, chilies, mayonnaise, pickles, olives, capers...how much time do you have?

I'm with you on miracle whip! I once lived in rural NC, when you ask for mayonnaise, this is what you sometimes get, it's very popular.

I do like miracle whip as a component of coleslaw dressing though.

I don't like mustard, any mustard, very much. I use it on hot dogs (with either sauerkraut or sweet relish) and pastrami sandwiches. That's about it.

I don't use ketchup much. Just on French fries and onion rings.

I really enjoy mayonnaise (Hellmanns) for sandwiches (including burgers), potato or pasta salads and coleslaw.

Sometimes I use mayo on French fries. (Don't make a face, try it)

For me, Worcestershire and soy are ingredients more than condiments.

Guac, salsas, BBQ sauces (as long as they aren't too sweet) relishes, chutneys, etc. Bring them on.

Mustard (just about any kind)
Miracle Whip
Ranch, Thousand Island, and Bleu Cheese dressings
Frank's Red Hot
Soy Sauce

Dislikes:
regular mayo
steak sauce - not really dislike, just don't see a need for it at all

I don't like mustard, any mustard, very much. I use it on hot dogs (with either sauerkraut or sweet relish) and pastrami sandwiches. That's about it.

I don't use ketchup much. Just on French fries and onion rings.

I really enjoy mayonnaise (Hellmanns) for sandwiches (including burgers), potato or pasta salads and coleslaw.

Sometimes I use mayo on French fries. (Don't make a face, try it)

For me, Worcestershire and soy are ingredients more than condiments.

Guac, salsas, BBQ sauces (as long as they aren't too sweet) relishes, chutneys, etc. Bring them on.

Forgot about Hellmanns Mayo, that I don't mind but it's too darn expensive to buy in SA. I like dipping radishes in Hellmans.
PS. I dip my french fries in Vanilla Milkshake! The only time I eat fries is when we eat out and they must be shoe string fries with an ice cold V milkshake for dipping :pig:

Steve, I would love your recipe for ketchup. DH is getting so sensitive to any bought products and I have tried some recipes but weren't satisfied.

I don't think I hate any condiment. It seems I find a use even for the ones I don't eat regularly or by themselves (horse radish comes immediately to mind).
It's a love tolerate relationship.
By far I go through more mayonnaise than anything else.

I only have & use the bare minimum "over the counter" - ketchup, mayo & mustard. Not a big fan of hot sauce, & use Tabasco sparingly - bloody mary's, meatloaf, & more recently a bloody mary shrimp salad.

Back
Top Bottom