Eggs & Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jburnie

Assistant Cook
So who still uses fresh eggs to make an ice cream base? (or frozen custard if you're being picky) And who uses alternatives to produce a similar effect (e.g. pasturised eggs, guar gum, Sosa Procrema etc).

I use egg to make my ice cream base. I also cook the base to a temperature of 170ºF and hold it there for 5 minutes, eliminating any safety concerns associated with raw eggs.

Eggs here to. Easily found. If I can't pronounce the ingredients doubt I'd want something like that in my food. Just sayin'

For a minute there I thought this thread was about eating Ice cream with eggs lol!
Think I must go to bed before I pass out right here!

P.S I use eggs to make Ice Cream, haven't made any in ages though.

I use eggs--I have laying hens and am very partial to using their eggs in as many ways as possible. I do what Andy does. My hens are vaccinated, but I can't pasteurize the eggs in the shell at home. FWIW, eggs sold in the US are marked with a pink "P" to indicate they have been pasteurized in the shell.

Oh, eggs for sure. I really have no desire to spend $3.00/oz for Promochi (made from the Japanese kuzu root) or one of those curious Spanish thickeners which, like xanthan gum, seem to be marketed more to industry than to home users. Surely in England, jburnie, folks who don't want to mess with tempering eggs for custards and ice cream can just use a packet of Birds Eye.
A word of warning. Kuzu was introduced into the S.E. United States over 130 years ago, as "kudzu" and is now an invasive species that can cover a house in no time. It seems to me that it could easily escape from your ice cream and swallow your refrigerator over night.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom