Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cook's Tools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   CHOPPING BLOCK-drinking problem? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/chopping-block-drinking-problem-82326.html)

Chef Maloney 10-23-2012 10:00 PM

CHOPPING BLOCK-drinking problem?

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a new hardwood chopping block 18" x 16" from BBB and it's beautiful. I have read about seasoning it with mineral oil (usp) which I have done. 5 applications, waiting 8 hours between applications and 2 applications waiting overnight (to absorb & cure). THIS THING HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM. Would you believe this thing has swallowed 16oz. of mineral oil in the past 2 days? Should I keep applying mineral oil? Fortunately, I found the mineral oil at Target for $1.49 16oz. bottle. But this is KRAaZy.
ps. do i really need to do the bee's wax thing too?
Please Advise. Thanks

Dawgluver 10-23-2012 10:28 PM

I would let the thing drink its fill. It must be pretty dry! Looks like a lot of end grain, which will absorb more oil. I wouldn't worry about the bees wax, skip it.

Lovely cutting board, BTW.

taxlady 10-23-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1198583)
I would let the thing drink its fill. It must be pretty dry! Looks like a lot of end grain, which will absorb more oil. I wouldn't worry about the bees wax, skip it.

Lovely cutting board, BTW.

+1

PrincessFiona60 10-23-2012 11:16 PM

agreed. You don't need the bees wax.

CWS4322 10-24-2012 03:50 AM

The reason for the bee's wax or for heating the mineral oil with paraffin (How To Refinish a Butcher Block Home Hacks | Apartment Therapy) is give it a more durable finish. If you use only mineral oil, you will need to reapply the finish more often. I did the mineral oil + paraffin on my butcherblock counter tops until I got tired of reapplying it. Now I use WATCO's food-safe butcher block finish (I buy it at Lowe's). If you are a baker, you will want to wash it with warm, soapy water. If you use bleach, the dough will be more prone to stick to it. One of the things I learned this week.

justplainbill 10-24-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1198632)
The reason for the bee's wax or for heating the mineral oil with paraffin (How To Refinish a Butcher Block Home Hacks | Apartment Therapy) is give it a more durable finish. If you use only mineral oil, you will need to reapply the finish more often. I did the mineral oil + paraffin on my butcherblock counter tops until I got tired of reapplying it. Now I use WATCO's food-safe butcher block finish (I buy it at Lowe's). If you are a baker, you will want to wash it with warm, soapy water. If you use bleach, the dough will be more prone to stick to it. One of the things I learned this week.

Application of a mixture of warm mineral oil and bee's wax or paraffin helps seal the pores and reduces the drinking of mineral oil. Hope you treated both sides of the board.

Addie 10-24-2012 10:43 AM

I think you should call BBA. Butcher Block Anonymous. They hold meetings at WS. :angel:

Chef Maloney 10-24-2012 10:52 AM

Thank You All

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. I don't know where to purchase bee's wax so I will probably skip it. I did treat both sides of the board (and the ends) with mineral oil. Yes, I do some baking but I will also probably not use bleach on the surface unless it gets heavily stained. Thank you to someone who suggested in one of the other threads to purchase the mineral oil at a drug store. BBB wanted $5.99 for 8oz. which is absurd considering I found it for $1.49 for 16oz. at Target. What a great source of information all of you are. I am so glad I finally found you. This DC place is like a wonderful school. I hope you all have a wonderful day! :smile:

Addie 10-24-2012 11:00 AM

Beeswax can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowes, any hardware store. :angel:

justplainbill 10-24-2012 02:42 PM

Food grade paraffin is available at a nominal cost in the canning supply department of many stores that sell canning supplies. A mixture of 20% paraffin can be dissolved in mineral oil heated to ~ 200*F.
Bee's wax is stickier and melts at a lower temp.