CHOPPING BLOCK-drinking problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess, you are absolutely right. As soon as I posted I realized how silly and moronic the question was. For the price! For the peace of mind against probably months of trying to get rid of an unwanted odour or taste!

Hell-oooo?

I will be getting some fresh tomorrow.

I use a plastic or wood small cutting board on top of my butcher block not for health/safety reasons (well maybe a little bit) but mainly to keep from staining my beautiful hardwood block.

Mine is also quite large and very thick. It is never moved except to clean under it. It is to big and heavy to take to the sink and I would never allow water to come in contact with butcher block.
So plastic mats or plastic cutting board on top.

But you want things to soak into the wood :) That's the anti-bacterial property of wood - bacteria are pulled into it and die of dehydration. I've never oiled my wooden boards either. I have one large one that lives on my counter and I do most of my prep there; I do veg first, then cut meat, then clean it, usually with a spritz of homemade all-purpose cleaner made with 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 lemon juice and 1/3 water. No problems whatsoever.

btw, here's a link to the research done on cutting board materials: Plastic and Wooden Cutting Boards

Just wanted to mention - not everyone oils their boards :) I never have and mine is in great shape. It's at least 7-8 years old.

Back
Top Bottom