Cheese & Onion Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
Here is a wonderful recipe from 'Baking Bread' by Christine Ingram & Jennie Shapter. It is delicious and you are gonna LOVE IT!!! (I have adapted this recipe for my KA but I have also done the kneading by hand, both ways come out great.) Enjoy :yum:

Cheese & Onion Loaf

1 Onion, chopped, browned in 2 Tblsp. Butter, cooled.
4 cups Unbleached Bread Flour
2 1/2 tsp. dried Yeast, (rapid rise)
1 tsp. Mustard Powder
1 Tblsp. Sugar
1 1/2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2/3 cup Lukewarm Milk
2/3 cup Lukewarm Water
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp. ground Pepper
2 Tblsp. melted Butter (for use after first rise)

1. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" breadpan.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl and stir in the yeast, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 of the grated cheese and all of the browned onion. Make a well in the center and add the milk and water: blend to a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with lightly oiled plastic wrap. (cooking spray is great) Leave in a warm place to rise for approx. 45 - 60 minutes (doubled in size).
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knock it back, punch it down and knead lightly for about 30 seconds. Divide the dough into 20 equal rounds (pieces). Place half (10 pieces) on the bottom of the bread pan in one layer. Brush with 1 Tblsp. melted butter. Place the remaining 10 pieces of dough on top of the first layer and brush with remaining melted butter.
5. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and set in warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
6. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
7. Sprinkle remaining Cheese on top of the dough in the bread pan.
8. Bake at 375 for approx. 40 - 45 minutes until golden brown.
Cool on wire rack.

Attachments

• Cheese Onion Bread.jpg
    Cheese Onion Bread.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 250
Wish I could bring it to you Kylie :)
BTW, ... I use a heavy dark metal non-stick loaf pan for this recipe. I hope you try it. It's lovely & delicious. Especially w/butter :chef:

Wish I could bring it to you Kylie :)
BTW, ... I use a heavy dark metal non-stick loaf pan for this recipe. I hope you try it. It's lovely & delicious. Especially w/butter :chef:

Looks and sounds wonderful. I don't bake much, so I'm curious - what is the benefit of using a dark metal non-stick loaf pan? I have one, and I also have a stoneware Pampered Chef loaf pan that I usually grab first (not sure why).

Looks and sounds wonderful. I don't bake much, so I'm curious - what is the benefit of using a dark metal non-stick loaf pan? I have one, and I also have a stoneware Pampered Chef loaf pan that I usually grab first (not sure why).
Well, gee... I'm not sure there is an advantage to using the metal non-stick pan. I just mentioned it because that's what I used (9"x5"), the bread came right out of the pan easily and it baked and came out so perfect. Just watch carefully while baking if you decide to use the stoneware, just in case it changes the baking time or something. Should be fine. This is a bread you will make many times once you try it. Pretty dang good & tasty! :yum:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom