Salt and Pepper's Potato Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
S&P was too modest to post this, so I will! (He gave me permission)

Salt and Pepper's Recipe for Potato Pancakes:

2-2/12 lbs potatoes , peeled and shredded on a box grader into ice cold water. leave in the water so they don't oxidize. Leave for 30mins or more.
In a bowl, add 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white,mix in 3/4 cup of flour, 1/4 tsp salt,1/4 tsp pepper,1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Mix with a wire whisk until smooth an keep cool in the fridge.
Next, drain potatoes well. With a clean dish towel or cheese cloth ring out as much water as you can to dry the potatoes, place into a bowl and add wet ingredients and 1/2 large onion, grated, and mix well.
with about 1/4 inch of oil in a heated pan,(I use cast iron) Brown the pancakes on both sides. I use English Muffen Rings to make them uniformly round. You can use egg rings but the english muffin rings have higher si des and just make a thicker potato pancake. Of corse you don't need the rings at all. Enjoy, Joey

Last edited:
Pancakes showing English Muffin Ring
39817-albums888-picture5183.jpg

those are some delicious-looking potato pancakes, s&p. i'd love to have me a panfull of 'em right now! i was going to say that the ragged-edged pancakes are fine with me, but those rings do make some pretty shaped cakes. :)

i'm wondering, what is the difference between potato pancakes and latkes. is it that the latkes have onions in them?

Love potato pancakes. I usually use leftover boiled potatoes, grate them, add minced garlic, egg, some flour, chopped sauteed onion, minced parsley, S&P. Make them into patties and fry in bacon grease....love them with German-style pork roast.

i woke up this morning with an overwhelming taste for potato pancakes, but had to settle for soft boiled eggs. they were good, the eggs. they always are. but i feel the need for potato pancakes in my life today! i will be making your recipe, s&p for dinner tonight. (the rings will have to wait a while). thanks s&p--you are continually coming up with inspiring, delicious dishes featuring many of my favorite foods....:)

ahhh, you grate the potatoes and use rings.
I've only made them from leftover mashed. No wonder they look like they have such a nice texture. And I have found a new use for my egg rings ;^)

potato pancakes using raw grated potatoes are a whole different story, uh, animal, uh, ballgame!!! somehow, it's the sports analogy that usually works the best....:)

i woke up this morning with an overwhelming taste for potato pancakes, but had to settle for soft boiled eggs. they were good, the eggs. they always are. but i feel the need for potato pancakes in my life today! i will be making your recipe, s&p for dinner tonight. (the rings will have to wait a while). thanks s&p--you are continually coming up with inspiring, delicious dishes featuring many of my favorite foods....:)

How did they go V?

How did they go V?

i had to put my home healthcare worker to the potato pancake task. it turned out to be a rather expensive indulgence (one i don't for a single second regret).:pig:and i did peel the potatoes in advance.:chef:

i thought i missed having homemade applesauce with them, but pps don't really require a topping for me, i was reminded. mostly, i contentedly snacked on my pps straight out of the fridge, paper towels in hand, a sprinkle of sea salt. heavenly munchables!

this special treat meant a two day hiatus from my sensible diet, to which i dutifully returned, with very little harm done. like picasso, i have my "blue period" and potato pancakes are on my 'blue list'--as in "once in a blue moon" favorite food trip. it has to remain a restricted pleasure 'cause there's no portion control possible with these things, none attempted--totally free range event....

Last edited:
I have a sausage roll thawing out. It will go very nicely with some potaot pancakes. I have four small pototes and it will be just enough. Then I can add potatoes to my grocery list. :angel:

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it V :)

i had to put my home healthcare worker to the potato pancake task. it turned out to be a rather expensive indulgence (one i don't for a single second regret).:pig:and i did peel the potatoes in advance.:chef:

i thought i missed having homemade applesauce with them, but pps don't really require a topping for me, i was reminded. mostly, i contentedly snacked on my pps straight out of the fridge, paper towels in hand, a sprinkle of sea salt. heavenly munchables!

this special treat meant a two day hiatus from my sensible diet, to which i dutifully returned, with very little harm done. like picasso, i have my "blue period" and potato pancakes are on my 'blue list'--as in "once in a blue moon" favorite food trip. it has to remain a restricted pleasure 'cause there's no portion control possible with these things, none attempted--totally free range event....

I have a sausage roll thawing out. It will go very nicely with some potaot pancakes. I have four small pototes and it will be just enough. Then I can add potatoes to my grocery list. :angel:

Ads, I too think they will go very nicely with a sausage roll, enjoy!

Don't be shy about sharing your recipe, S&P. :yum: Very unique & great pic. Grew up w/ PP, but never used a mold/ring. My grandmother would fry them up in chicken fat/schmaltz. My biggest problem was oxidation (everything turned red). Sometimes I mix the grated potatoes w/ carrorts and/or zuchinni. (Many ways to go.) For crispy brown pancakes, use breadcrumbs in place of flour. I serve w/ sour cream and/or apple sauce, or horseradish & sour cream. Thanks again, for sharing your recipe/version.

ETA: To "jazz" them up for a cocktail party, top the pancakes w/ a dollop of sour cream and caviar.

Last edited:
No matter what the purpose of the potato is going to be, I place them in ice water as soon as they are peeled. In the case of pp, I didn't grate them until I had the batter all made. Then I squeezed them in my pastry towels. Directly into the batter they went which I made as the potatoes were soaking. I always make sure I have the water waiting before I start peeling. No oxidation problems. And the soaking removes some of the starch. Which is not always a bad thing. :angel:

Don't be shy about sharing your recipe, S&P. :yum: Very unique & great pic. Grew up w/ PP, but never used a mold/ring. My grandmother would fry them up in chicken fat/schmaltz. My biggest problem was oxidation (everything turned red). Sometimes I mix the grated potatoes w/ carrorts and/or zuchinni. (Many ways to go.) For crispy brown pancakes, use breadcrumbs in place of flour. I serve w/ sour cream and/or apple sauce, or horseradish & sour cream. Thanks again, for sharing your recipe/version.

ETA: To "jazz" them up for a cocktail party, top the pancakes w/ a dollop of sour cream and caviar.

caviar--a good pp idea i'd not heard of before, cerise, i love it!
for me, the ice water bath (to keep the grated potatoes from oxidizing) is a totally unnecessary step. it seems to me a lot of extra time and trouble to soak, then have to strain the potatoes, unless you really need to remove some of the starch. long ago, i became so accustomed to working with that huge pink pile of grated potatoes, that to me, it seemed the perfectly natural and proper color for them to be. yes, even when they stood around long enough to turn from pink to an admittedly unappetizing shade of gray. you see, i knew that once they hit the frying pan, the pancakes would soon be transformed into the delicious golden brown discs that is also the way they were always meant to be....:):yum:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom