Gramma Hoch's Cabbage Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
My Gramma Hoch used to come to visit and make these. Great for a cold day when you really feel like cooking and making the entire house smell wonderful.
I used to help her and watch her basting the rolls, just waiting for dinnertime.
I have also done this in my 7qt. crock-pot. LOW setting. 7 hours.

GRAMMA HOCH'S CABBAGE ROLLS

1 Large round head Cabbage, boiled in water for 20 minutes
1 Lb. Ground Beef, cooked & drained
5 or 6 Pork Sausages, cut-up & lightly browned in skillet(leave pink center)
4 Cups Rice, steam cooked
1 Onion, chopped
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 Cans condensed Tomato Soup, mixed w/ 2 cans water.

1. Cut out the stem of the Cabbage and boil for approx. 10 - 15 minutes until just tender, removing any outer leaves before they are over-cooked. Drain & Carefully remove leaves (8 -12 depending how many rolls you want) use a paring knife to Cut-out some of the white stiff center of the leaves, leaving them as whole as possible, soft & roll-able. The remaining center of the Cabbage will not be cooked.
Save all remaining Cabbage.
Set Aside.
2. In a large bowl, Combine the browned Ground Beef, Onion, Bell Pepper,
2 cups of the cooked Rice, 1 cup of the Tomato Soup w/water mixture, Fennel Seeds, Salt & Pepper to taste. Set Aside.
3. Place spoonfuls of the meat mixture onto the center of the Cabbage Leaves and roll-up. Set them aside (seam down) on a tray or cookie sheet. You should have some meat mixture left over. If not, no worries it's OK.
4. Chop remaining unused Cabbage, mix it with the remaining rice and remaining meat mixture. Place this mixture in a Large oiled Dutch Oven or Casserole with a cover. Arrange the browned Pork Sausages on top.
5. Carefully set the rolled stuffed Cabbages on top of this, making 2 layers if necessary. Pour the remaining Tomato Soup mixture over the top of the rolls.

COVER & BAKE in 300 degree oven for 3 - 3 1/2 hours, basting occasionally.
enjoy:yum:

Last edited:
OMG you are making me hungry. I love cabbage rolls. Real peasant food. :angel:
hahaha Addie, do you make them similar to this? One of my favorites. I wasn't sure where to post this. Either here or casseroles?
I would love to see your recipe :yum:

hahaha Addie, do you make them similar to this? One of my favorites. I wasn't sure where to post this. Either here or casseroles?
I would love to see your recipe :yum:

Pretty much. Only I don't put peppers in them. Can't eat them. And I use canned tomato sauce instead of the soup. I also fry up the sausage meat loosely. I remove it from the casings. I have used Italian and small breakfast ones. Whatever I had on hand at the time. I also deglazed the pan with the tomato sauce first before usiing it in the rolls. Why waste all that good flavor. When I made a New England boiled dinner, my kids would never touch the cabbage. But they cleaned me right out with cabbage rolls. But then I told them they were lettuce leaves. I also laid my rolls out in a large Pyrex baking dish. Easier to baste them. My filling was pretty much the same, just done in a different way. A lot of work, but so worth every bite. :angel:

This sound great :) I can't eat peppers either, they give me a terrible stomach ache. Think I'll just leave them out.

They are so good. With the hamburger and sausage meat, then the rice along with the veggies you add, it is a complete meal. It is a very old recipe brought to this country by our immigrants. Each country has its own name for them. Originally, you put whatever you had leftover in the fridge. Using up leftovers. :angel:

Your recipe sounds Italian, with the sausages and fennel seeds..

in my family these rolls are either sweet ( with raisons and sugar) my mother is Czech ,..

or sour ( with saurkrout and vinegar on top).

my father is German.

I like the recipe with sausages and fennel..

Thanks , Eric Austin Tx.

I really love all of the other suggestions here. Now I'm gonna have to make them again soon using some different ingredients :yum:
My mom used to use the same meat recipe for stuffed bell peppers too. Cut the top off like a pumpkin, clean out the center, fill the insides.

They are so good. With the hamburger and sausage meat, then the rice along with the veggies you add, it is a complete meal. It is a very old recipe brought to this country by our immigrants. Each country has its own name for them. Originally, you put whatever you had leftover in the fridge. Using up leftovers. :angel:

I love them! Learned how to make them by a Portuguese friend of mine. And how to make the Greek version Lahanodolmathes from an ex Greek boyfriend. Both versions are great :yum: Must admit the Greek God that came with version no 2 made them taste even better :angel:

Back
Top Bottom