Feedback on San Fransisco Bay coffee k-cups, cheap!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
this san fran bay coffee is one i haven't yet tried, but it is getting a lot of favorable press from customer reviews. and that is encouraging! the cost of coffee k-cups has been my Only bone of contention with the keurig way of brewing coffee. i'm a keurig true believer, but i've always been on the lookout for better k-cup prices. i tried the grove square coffee k-cups one time, but they turned out to be made from instant coffee. i didn't buy a keurig coffee machine in order to heat up instant coffee in a new and more expensive way!:wacko:

howsomever, in describing this coffee, i learned that these sfb k cups are something other than true k cups, but that they work perfectly fine in the keurig machines. i don't get exactly what they look like or how they work differently, but they are apparently more environmentally friendly, but not completely sealed, as are the regular k cups.

i know it's just a matter of time before i give in to the temptation to check out this sfb organic coffee, but i would like to hear from anyone of you who have had this coffee or know something about it. thanks....:)

oops, almost forgot to mention the most important matter of the price! i see that amazon is selling sfb k cups for just under .40c each with their subscribe and save plan. good, huh?

Last edited:
i'm giving this thread a bump one more time with the hope of some response. has no one bought or tried these sfb k cups yet? i'm interested to know how these oddly shaped k cups work in a keurig machine. also, opinions about the quality of this arabica coffee would be most welcome. anyone?

Last edited:
guess i'll just have to be my own taster/tester for the san francisco bay organic k cups. it turns out that this brand of coffee has been around for many years, just not previously in k cup form. sfb 'fog chaser' is the flavor i am ordering today from amazon--36 units for $16.62. that is about 2/3 of the cost for the regular keurig ones, and larger quantities sell for even less.

i like a bold coffee brew (no latte girl here):) fog chaser is described as being full-bodied with a smooth finish, compared favorably to kona blend and rainforest espresso--nice. i will report back with my findings and impressions of this coffee.

ever since keurig, i have been more inclined to sample different coffee blends, whereas previously i stuck with one favorite brand from which i never deviated. these days, i like to match my coffee flavor to my mood of the moment--such fun! and coffee drinking is so much more satisfying this way....:)

I pick a breakfast blend in the morning, more caffiene. I save the dark roasts for the afternoon, that lovely flavor without the caffiene charge.

I've considered getting a Keurig but haven't because of the cost of the cups. I recently saw an ad for reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee. That seemed like a good idea. Not sure how they compare to the pre-packaged ones though.

They work fine. 2 Tablespoons coffee for 10 ounce cup and under. 3 Tablespoons for above 10 ounces.

I've considered getting a Keurig but haven't because of the cost of the cups. I recently saw an ad for reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee. That seemed like a good idea. Not sure how they compare to the pre-packaged ones though.

The reusable cup thingy was the reason I bought Keurig instead of Tassimo. I love the machine. And I have to say Keurig's customer service is pretty good too.

vituata, I was looking at those cup thingys, they look interesting. I'm guessing they are just cloth or meshy stuff on the bottom and the top is like a k cup? Tell me how they are. There are some other ones called kienna cups that look like they might be good too.

The reusable cup thingy was the reason I bought Keurig instead of Tassimo. I love the machine. And I have to say Keurig's customer service is pretty good too.

vituata, I was looking at those cup thingys, they look interesting. I'm guessing they are just cloth or meshy stuff on the bottom and the top is like a k cup? Tell me how they are. There are some other ones called kienna cups that look like they might be good too.

those 'cup thingys', if you can rely on customer reports, are made from a special paper product, and therefore are biodegradable. from what i can tell, the tops of the k cups are not sealed as are the keurig cups, and need to be secured to prevent coffee grounds from escaping into the coffee.--a paper clip was mentioned...what?? but overwhelmingly glowing reports on the great taste of the coffee, and, uh, i'll be back when i know what i'm talking about......:)

Last edited:
well, i seem to be scheduled for a sfb fog chaser shipment on december 11th. i made several attempts to change the date without success. don't know if this is a sandy-related delay in shipping, or something else....

I've had the Fog Chaser and the Rain Forest OneCups, and the Rogers family knows how to roast coffee. They were both good, even though I prefer my Senseo or Krups Home Cafe single serve coffee pod machines to the Keurig, but I support anyone who is sticking it to the Green Mountain/Keurig monopoly.

I still buy the San Francisco Bay coffees in whole bean form and make my own pods with my Perfect Pod Maker.

sir loin, you seem to have your coffee affairs well in hand. my entire objective is to secure a reliable and affordable source of good quality coffee k cups. it is not always true that you get what you pay for....

My daughtere lover her Keurig, you are all raving about yours, and I sit here waiting for my Mr. Coffee to finish dripping. I have never hoped my coffee maker would wear out, break down, die. But I am now. It works perfectly fine and is only a few years old. So I am stuck with it. When it does finally bite the dust, I will have quite an education, thanks to DC members on the best place to buy the cups, or machine, etc. I will be the most informed consumer. Thanks for all the information. I have it all in my head. Now I just hope my memory doesn't fail me. :angel:

I've had the Fog Chaser and the Rain Forest OneCups, and the Rogers family knows how to roast coffee. They were both good, even though I prefer my Senseo or Krups Home Cafe single serve coffee pod machines to the Keurig, but I support anyone who is sticking it to the Green Mountain/Keurig monopoly.

I still buy the San Francisco Bay coffees in whole bean form and make my own pods with my Perfect Pod Maker.

sirloin, do you have an opinion about the coffee/latte/espresso maker, verismo, put out by starbucks in recent months? will starbucks be able to follow you home at some point?

I have a Senseo and three Krups Home Cafes (one for home, one for work,a nd one for parts!), which use pods. I have a Krups coffee/espresso combo machine with a frother that uses ground coffee, and I have a Keurig machine that uses either k-cups or the adapter that you put your own coffee into. The last thing I need is another coffeemaker, especially a single source coffee capsule coffeemaker!

Starbucks is on every corner (usually next door to or across the street from a Walgreens!) and in almost every supermarket. They don't need to follow you home, they can see you, no matter where you go!

Last edited:
I am old enough to have seen companies that expand too fast and too far go under at some point. And Starbucks will be one of them. Mr. Coffee at one time was "the one" coffee maker to have in your kitchen. Now they are way back of the pack. Still there, but not as visible as they once were. They too will have to come out with a "Keurig" type machine to stay viable in the coffee maker market. I am now waiting to see what Dunkin' Donuts will come out with. This battle of these lovely coffee maker machines is very interesting. :angel:

PAC, PAC, Pacanis (waving wildly) I'm Over Heeeer--here i am!!! so, you were saying, pac, back at mia, you like the SFB breakfast blend, yes? you like it better than the fogchaser, i take it. do tell me more. i've only had the SFB fogchaser and french roast blends so far. i had read somewhere that the breakfast blend was a somewhat 'lighter' blend than the others. have you tried the rainforest reserve? what i should do, probably, is buy one of their variety packages, and sample them all. i think they are all priced real nice, and i'm sure lovin' that....

Yes, I tried the fog chaser and the breakfast blend and prefer the bb. It even smells better when you cut open a bag, more of the coffee smell I am used to.
I will say, like you mentioned, the fog chaser was growing on me, but the blend is smoother. I drink my coffee (typically) with milk in it and the fog I was having to add a bit more to tame it. The blend I'll drink black on occasion.
I'll probably sign on for a program where they mail out an 80 pk automatically, but Amazon has been good to me while I figure out a flavor.
And I found if the pod sticks to the top of my Keurig, like i mentioned before where it's not that easy to just pry it off, if I close and open the machine again it unsticks itself and stays where it should. And they aren't messy anyway. K-cups retain a little liquid if you get careless with throwing them away. The pods feel dry almost.

Big props for the SFB brand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom