ISO - Tripas (intestines) Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studentcook

Assistant Cook
I like trying new things and sometimes I just go to the store and buy random stuff. Yesterday I bought some meat that had "Tripas small intestines" written on it. I couldn't find a really good complete recipe for tripas that included how to clean it. So, this is what I did:

I rinsed it off, put it in a pot of water, brought it to a full boil, then reduced the heat and let it simmer for 3 hours. After that I put it in the refrigerator.

In the water that it was simmering in, it produced a lot of fat at the top and the soup was at the bottom. When I got off of work today, I saw that my wife had chopped up the tripas and put it in a bowl. She removed all the fat from the soup and put it in a separate bowl and then, of course, the soup itself was in a separate bowl. I bought some other stuff too when I was at the grocery store buying the tripas. I bought tomatoes, ground beef, fresh chives, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, habanero peppers, salsa, avocados, and corn tortillas.

My question to all of you expert chefs is what super delicious easy recipe(s) do you know of in which I can use the tripas, the fat from the tripas, and the soup from the tripas? It does not have to be one recipe but as long as I use the each of them in some way. I would throw out the soup and fat but I read on one site that there are ways to use it, I think. Please keep in mind that I am a man and a super novice at cooking so excuse my ignorance here. My wife works the night shift so I have a bit until I need to be finished cooking this. Thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC :) Is it lamb, pork or beef tripe? We mainly eat the lamb tripe and we curry it with Cape Malay spices. Our tripe dishes include the trotters, stomach, head etc.

This is confusing. Tripe is stomach, not intestines. Tripe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was confused too. Tripas is not actually tripe, it's small intestines.
Not the same but I guess some recipes would work for both.

In SA they sell the honeycomb tripe along with intestines and all the bits.
Must admit if I don't curry it or make brawn I can't stomach it :LOL:

Sounds like you have all the Ingredients for Tacos de tripas. It's popular in Mexico. tried to post a link but my PC is not responding.
You can google it. There's a nice looking recipe on bigoven.com

Last edited:
Is it lamb, pork or beef tripe?
It is beef tripas not tripe though. Initially, I was just as confused as you all are. Lol

Sounds like you have all the Ingredients for Tacos de tripas. It's popular in Mexico. tried to post a link but my PC is not responding.
You can google it. There's a nice looking recipe on bigoven.com
I have that recipe now, thank you.

A couple of more questions, please:

1. Should I add ground beef to the tacos since I have a feel that they will have spongy feel to them when I chew them?

2. Instead of the ingredients posted, can I just use: tomatoes, salsa, habanero peppers, spinach, onions, and avocados ?

3. What do I do with the fresh chives I bought?

4. What do I do with the soup of tripas? What about the fat skimmed from that soup?

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/161179/tacos-de-tripa-tripe-tacos

Thanks, powerplantop. I don't drink commercial alcohol but I do have some recipes that I need to try for brewing my own beer. :)

About the fat, considering what you are recommending above, I think that I can just set the fat aside in a container and use it whenever a recipe calls for fat. Just like I do with bacon or pork when it sweats fat oil in the skillet. Correct?

I still don't know what I do with the fresh chives and the soup from the tripas. I ask about the chives because I don't know how to use them but I ask about the soup of the tripas because I honestly don't know if I cleaned them correctly. If not then who knows what is in that soup. I didn't simmer them for three hours like I wrote above so all the bad stuff probably is all dead by now...

If you didn't clean them correctly the bad stuff will also be in the flesh itself.

But even if there is fecal matter in it, you likely have disinfected it.

Pajeon is one of my favorite things. Especially kimchi pajeon.

I have three big chive plants in my garden. I can't think of many things they don't go into

They went into homemade hot sauce about 3 hours ago.

Can't help you with the intestines, but as for chives, they're lovely as a garnish, (flowers too), in any egg dish, in salads, dips, and to chew on as is. They're delicate, so I wouldn't use them as a cooked onion sub, but I would chop and add them to just about anything fresh. They make a nice tie for spring rolls. I have several patches of chives, and can always find a use for them.

It is beef tripas not tripe though. Initially, I was just as confused as you all are. Lol

I have that recipe now, thank you.

A couple of more questions, please:

1. Should I add ground beef to the tacos since I have a feel that they will have spongy feel to them when I chew them?

2. Instead of the ingredients posted, can I just use: tomatoes, salsa, habanero peppers, spinach, onions, and avocados ?

3. What do I do with the fresh chives I bought?

4. What do I do with the soup of tripas? What about the fat skimmed from that soup?

Tacos de Tripa (Tripe Tacos) | BigOven

1. I would add strips of beef, the ground beef might be a bit strange with the tripas. You could also crumb and deep fry the tripas for a pleasant texture.

2. Taste as you go, there's no hard and fast rules to cooking. It's all good if the flavour is good.

3. Fresh chives can be used in your salsa or added to another dish. Chives are great chopped for salad and even on grilled cheese.

4. If you feel the soup is tainted from not cleaning the tripas correctly I would suggest you throw it out and cut your losses. Rather lose and and use the next batch once you're more familiar with using tripas.

If you didn't clean them correctly the bad stuff will also be in the flesh itself.

But even if there is fecal matter in it, you likely have disinfected it.
4. If you feel the soup is tainted from not cleaning the tripas correctly I would suggest you throw it out and cut your losses. Rather lose and and use the next batch once you're more familiar with using tripas.
I would take my chances but it’s just water so I’ll just throw it out. I’ll keep the fat though and use it like I’d use fat oil from bacon or some other meat.

You could also crumb and deep fry the tripas for a pleasant texture.
Great idea! I am doing that right now and I will put the chives in the salsa I bought. Great forum this is! :)

I would take my chances but it’s just water so I’ll just throw it out. I’ll keep the fat though and use it like I’d use fat oil from bacon or some other meat.

Great idea! I am doing that right now and I will put the chives in the salsa I bought. Great forum this is! :)

Glad I could help :) Just remember that anything derived from organ meat will go bad faster. Use within a few days. Don't keep the fat too long.

Back
Top Bottom