How to make Porchetta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Notes from Hibbing, Minnesota: The Quest for Porketta | The Feed

You could not grow up in Northern MN and not eat porketta at weddings, funerals, family reunions, graduation, etc., if you had a friend who was Italian. My best friend's grandma made the BEST porcketta (that is how she spelt it). You take your pork and cut it like a book. You make a rub with fresh rosemary, grated fennel bulb, fennel fronds, fennel seeds, dill seed, garlic, onion, black pepper, salt, a bit of EVOO. You smear this in the inside, roll it up and tie it, and then you smear it on the outside. You cook it in a roaster until it literally falls apart. I usually cook mine at 300. I think that is everything--I'd have to dig through my emails to get the exact amounts. I know it is more fennel seed than you'd expect...about 2 T. I've got the pork in the freezer... time to defrost it and make Jo's Granny's porketta! On a homemade bun, with some of the juice, it makes the best sandwich...if you have any leftover.

Porchetta Recipe

Any recipes !?

Here is the Porchetta recipe we love. You cannot mess this up, it is VERY forgiving.
It is slow-roasted, extremely tender, herb crusted & crispy on the outside. Delicious :yum:
Allow time for this recipe. I start it the night before and cook for a good 12 - 16 hours.

PORCHETTA

(1) 5 - 7 Lb. Bone-In Pork Shoulder, skin on.(or Boston Butt)
1 Head of Garlic (entire flower, peeled)
1 Tblsp. course Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
1 tsp. dried Oregano
1 tsp. dried Marjoram
1 tsp. dried Thyme
1 Large Onion, sliced thin
1 Large Carrot, sliced 1/4"
1/2 cup semi-dry Pale Sherry (or wine)
4 cups Chicken Stock (or broth)
Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar

Deeply Score the Pork Skin, criss-cross fashion.
Crush together the Salt, Garlic, Pepper, Oregano, Marjoram & Thyme
Rub this mixture into and all over the entire Roast.

In a Large Shallow Roasting Pan, Roast the Roast for 45 minutes at 450 degrees to deep brown in color.

Scatter the Carrot and Onion around the Roast.
Add Half the Stock and Half the Sherry (or wine) to the pan.
Sprinkle Roast with Red Pepper Flakes.

REDUCE OVEN HEAT TO 175 - 180 DEGREES.
ROAST FOR APPROXIMATELY 12 - 18 HOURS, UNCOVERED, BASTING TWO OR THREE TIMES.
Avoid opening the oven door while cooking, (except for basting)
(a meat thermometer will read 170 - 175 degrees)
(it is fine to roast for up to 20 hours if desired)

Remove the Roast and Cover loosely w/FoiL

Pour the Pan Juices, scraping up browned bits, Vegetables and remaining Wine & Stock into a pot and simmer on the stovetop to reduce to approx. 1 cup.
Pour through strainer, pressing on veges to release liquid.
Stir in the Balsamic Vinegar.
eat. smile :yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never made it but this recipe by Anne Burrell looks pretty good: Porchetta with Roasted Fingerlings

The recipe has a flaw. The ingredient list calls for a picnic shoulder with skin and bone removed. In the instructions it calls for you brush the skin with oil and cook until it's crispy.

I assume you wrap the skin around the rolled roast before tieing.

The recipe has a flaw. The ingredient list calls for a picnic shoulder with skin and bone removed. In the instructions it calls for you brush the skin with oil and cook until it's crispy.

I assume you wrap the skin around the rolled roast before tieing.

Thanks for pointing that out. If I remember right, she suggested having the butcher remove them to make carving easier. She did did put it back on before roasting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom