Dutch Oven Beef with Gravy Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm not sure if this is a stew or a casserole, but I know it's a beef recipe so stuck it here under Beef.

Start with a 1.5 lb chuck roast and trim into bite size pieces.
Shake the pieces in some seasoned flour (I used salt, pepper and yellow curry powder) and brown in batches in a Dutch Oven using EVOO.
Add all the beef back into the DO and add some mushrooms. Stir.
De glaze using a red wine. I used about 1/2c of burgundy.
Then add 1 can each of Campbells cream of onion soup and French onion soup. Stir and mix all together.
Put the lid on and put in a 300F oven for two hours.

That's all there is to it. It reduces and thickens nicely.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 803
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 276
If that plate was sitting in front of me right now, I'd call it gone!:yum:

I don't know how those soups are on their own, but they do wonderful things to slow cooked meats.

No, I don't grow anything, Snips. I just really like green beans (and broccoli).

I don't know how those soups are on their own, but they do wonderful things to slow cooked meats.

No, I don't grow anything, Snips. I just really like green beans (and broccoli).

I always add brown onion soup to my beef stews and casseroles :)
It was my secret ingredient till you came along :LOL:

I feel the same way about tomatoes and onion, eat them with almost every meal!

That looks lovely! Unfortunately, it wouldn't get eaten at my house. DH dislikes mushrooms (I LOVE them!) and I don't like curry. But I might be able to adapt it some. Perhaps substitute cubed potatoes for the mushrooms and garlic powder for the curry. I'll have to experiment!

I'm not sure if this is a stew or a casserole, but I know it's a beef recipe so stuck it here under Beef.

Shake the pieces in some seasoned flour (I used salt, pepper and yellow curry powder) and brown in batches in a Dutch Oven using EVOO.
Then add 1 can each of Campbells cream of onion soup and French onion soup. Stir and mix all together.

good gravy, pac! i could go at that with my ladle!

you do such great presentations, pac. and this dish looks soo delicious, -- super easy to make, too. i really like easy in food. but do you think this recipe could work stovetop too? i've never owned a dutch oven. never missed having one either, until now. this is my kind of beefy dish, with gravy over everything....:yum::yum:

Thanks Vit.
I'm sure it would work stovetop, but you will probably have to keep it stirred so it doesn't burn.
Maybe this would be a good excuse to get a DO. The cast iron ones aren't that expensive and useful for all kinds of foods (no knead bread comes to mind, too).

That looks awesome!! Id make it tomorrow ....

But I dont recall ever seeing those soups? And they are not on Campbells website ...

Thanks Jenny.
I just Googled them and pulled them up, but I don't think they are that common. I know I have to run into Giant Eagle to buy them, as the town grocer doesn't carry the cream of onion one, so I usually just buy a couple of each when I make a run. Not sure why you can't find them on Campbells site...

That's so odd!

The Canpbells site I looked at had a list of condensed soups without those 2 on the list.

I'm not big on cooking with canned soup but your gravy looks so good!!!

I am pretty sure they don't have those 2 at my regular store but I will definitely look for them.

Thanks!

I will stab the first hand that even reaches for that plate of food before me. For once, a plate of food looks good to me. Good enough to even eat. :angel:

I have never seen either of those soups by campbells in any market either. Could make french onion soup, reserve some for the recipe. Pearl onions in a cream sauce might work? Don't want to change the recipe it looks wonderful! Thanks
I have made gravies using cream of mushroom, or golden cream of mushroom many times :<)

good gravy, pac! i could go at that with my ladle!

you do such great presentations, pac. and this dish looks soo delicious, -- super easy to make, too. i really like easy in food. but do you think this recipe could work stovetop too? i've never owned a dutch oven. never missed having one either, until now. this is my kind of beefy dish, with gravy over everything....:yum::yum:

Wouldn't be without my dutch ovens vitauta. They have many uses. Stovetop to Oven. You may know this already but if you do decide to get one, may I recommend one with a baked-on enamel coating? Much easier and you won't have to 'season' as you would a raw cast iron. There are some fairly inexpensive 4 - 8 quart ones available. :)

Your recipe looks wonderful Pacanis!

oh--my--goddd---cm, are you really gonna go and try to sell another breville?! to ME?

jk, cm. thanks, i'm keeping my eye open for one--tis the season.... :)

Back
Top Bottom