Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Bang. I learned young not to boil fresh eggs, makes a huge difference.

I put this on the thread that was asking, "what do you use a teaspoon for"
After the eggs are cooked and there are a TON of ways to cook an egg,
I crack the shell completely all around. Then wet a teaspoon, a table spoon, not a measuring spoon. At large end of the egg, I'll slip the spoon under the shell and under the thin membrane between the shell and the egg, then roll the spoon around the egg thus removing the shell with no or a minimum of damage to the white of the egg. As you know, fresh eggs are very hard to peel without tearing up the white.

Here is another web page on EGGS:

http://www.aeb.org/eggcyclopedia/main_frame_page.html

Enjoy,
Charlie

My wife taught me this trick, along with a never-fail way to cure hiccups, but that's another story. This works every time for me and is quite simple. In addition, I know it works on fresh and older eggs as I used to have egg laying hens when I lived in Washington State.

After boiling the eggs to your liking, with or without salt in the water, and to whatever degree of doneness (is there such a word as doneness?), lightly crack the egg and immerse immediatley in cold, running water. Laeve in for about thirty seconds or so. I'm not sure why this works, but if you then start from the crack, and get under the thin membrane, the egg comes off very easily, with no damage to the egg-white. Again, I'm not sure why it works, I just know that it does.

Oh, after cooling in the water, if you craze the shell, it peels off even easier. Just roll the egg around in your hands, applying just enough pressure to crack it. Then peel.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

bang, my egg boiling method is similar to the link. However, when the water comes to a rolling boil, I remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then I pour off the hot water and fill pot with cold water, gently crack the small end and put leave in cold water for a few minutes then eat them or put in fridge to further cool. The cracking of the small end seems to make peeling easier, maybe because some of the water seeps in??? I do not crack the large end because that is where the air pocket is. Mine never have a green ring, but if they did I would not care, green and gold are DUCK colors. ;)

I never had any trouble before, when I had an electric stove.
Now I have a gas stove and everytime I hard boil eggs it's a chore to peel them.

I cook them in the same way.. but, it takes a lot longer for the water to come to a boil. Could that be the problem? :cry:

ok not sure if this was the latest one regarding peeling hard boiled eggs, but I have tried Everything!!!. suggestions from here, else where you name it. I used to mainly use brown eggs and noticed white eggs are a little easier. I finally found something that seems to work for me. I just can't believe I finally found something that works for me. I mean I tried julia childs method and a million other methods.

I just can’t believe it. Imean I have tried everything under the sun!!! – finally this seems to work for me. I just can’t believe it.

I bought some large white eggs grocery shopping today and used those and it worked ONCE again.

1. Brought a pan of water to boil. I brought it to a good boil, but not a rolling boil
2. THAN I put my eggs in with some tongs carefully.
3. I let it boil for 13 minutes. When it was about 8 minutes left, it had come to a ROLLING boil as a fyi
4. Than I drained the water and poured cold water from the tap on them to stop the cooking process
5. Than I just let it cool down a little and peeled them.

*Note* When peeling them I took advise I read before and started down on the bigger part of the egg. If you look at the 2 sides of the egg, one side is a little larger than the other side. It’s like narrower/skinnier on one end.
Start with the end that is a little bigger.

Mary

I put this on the thread that was asking, "what do you use a teaspoon for"
After the eggs are cooked and there are a TON of ways to cook an egg,
I crack the shell completely all around. Then wet a teaspoon, a table spoon, not a measuring spoon. At large end of the egg, I'll slip the spoon under the shell and under the thin membrane between the shell and the egg, then roll the spoon around the egg thus removing the shell with no or a minimum of damage to the white of the egg. As you know, fresh eggs are very hard to peel without tearing up the white.

Here is another web page on EGGS:

http://www.aeb.org/eggcyclopedia/main_frame_page.html

Enjoy,
Charlie

pretty close to my method. it works every time. i don't however wet the spoon. start in water, when comes to a boil, take off flame, let sit for ten or fifteen minutes. plunge into ice water. then smash egg shell slightly, put spoon between :chef: peel and egg. turn spoon upside down first. off it comes, slick as a whistle.

pretty close to my method. it works every time. i don't however wet the spoon. start in water, when comes to a boil, take off flame, let sit for ten or fifteen minutes. plunge into ice water. then smash egg shell slightly, put spoon between :chef: peel and egg. turn spoon upside down first. off it comes, slick as a whistle.

I use your boil and set method!

I believe the eggs are tender and not rubbery when I use this method.

It also saves gas and does not heat up the kitchen as much in the Summer months.

Maybe I'll make some egg and olive for lunch and a Dirty Martini:ohmy:

I use your boil and set method!

I believe the eggs are tender and not rubbery when I use this method.

It also saves gas and does not heat up the kitchen as much in the Summer months.

Maybe I'll make some egg and olive for lunch and a Dirty Martini:ohmy:

One more who uses the boil and set method. I add a lot of salt to the water. It seems to make cracks in shells "heal". We usually boil a dozen and a half eggs at a time, so they last a while and we prefer them to have whole, uncracked shells for storing.

Aunt Bea, can I join you for lunch? :cool:

A friend who had worked in catering told me to salt the water to make peeling easy. It works!

It also helps to put cold eggs in cold water to prevent cracking.

Holy hannah! What an old thread! Nice to see some old names again though.

Hope you get your eggs peeled guys! I've found that the fresher the egg, the tougher they are to peel. I've also heard that a tbsp of vinegar in your boiling water will help too.

Eggs are porous. The fresher the egg, the harder to peel. When boiling fresh eggs, the advice is either cure the eggs in the fridge for 3 weeks OR add vinegar and salt to the water. Have the eggs at room temp. Put them in the water and bring to boil (with the salt 2-3T and vinegar--big slug). Once the water comes to a boil, set for 18 minutes. Drain, cover with super cold water for 5 minutes, then crack the eggs againt the pan and cover again for a few minutes with cold water. Works every time and remember I'm dealing with FRESH eggs.

So people I bought 6 plastic containers to make HB eggs. You rub the inside with a pam like spray on a paper towel or brush on some veggie oil. break you egg and put it into the container, put on the top and then boil in a pan of water for let's see if it's a large egg 19-20 min. Will give this a try this morning and see how the containers work.
kades

So people I bought 6 plastic containers to make HB eggs. You rub the inside with a pam like spray on a paper towel or brush on some veggie oil. break you egg and put it into the container, put on the top and then boil in a pan of water for let's see if it's a large egg 19-20 min. Will give this a try this morning and see how the containers work.
kades

Are those the "Eggies?" Shrek got some of those and they were horrible. they leaked all over the pan.

Are those the "Eggies?" Shrek got some of those and they were horrible. they leaked all over the pan.
Yep got the eggies. No problem with them leaking, they just take time to cool down and the shape is not the greatest but hey I love deviled but hate peeling sooooo eggies it is.
cj

Yep got the eggies. No problem with them leaking, they just take time to cool down and the shape is not the greatest but hey I love deviled but hate peeling sooooo eggies it is.
cj

I'm glad they worked for you. I have a feeling if I had used them, that we would have gotten better results, but Shrek tried them while I was at work and he had tossed everything by the time I got home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom