An Angry Man and his Williams-Sonoma Catalog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, but I could have done without the offensive language. I am sure there are other words in the English language that are more suitable. :angel:

I'm ok with bad language most of the time, but that was unnecessarily foul.

And not that clever.

Those potato gloves are genius,bTW!

Interesting, but I could have done without the offensive language. I am sure there are other words in the English language that are more suitable. :angel:

He is just using his sentence enhancers.....

It's about time somebody had the nerve to ask "WHY!!!??"

Every year since I've bought my pie maker from W/S my mailbox has been inundated with their catalogs. Year round. I'm usually happy when the mail man swipes one. One less piece of junk mail that I don't have to put in the recycle bin.

Notice he didn't knock the pie maker? Did he run out of room? Tease us with a pic and say nothing!? Is he a coward blogger behind the keyboard with a beef with W/S? Who knows. He did have a point if you could get past the language.. Who buys that kind of stuff, and WHY!?
OK, the acorn twine maker just about floored me. Easy prey I'm still sick.

Your MIL could care less, and would probably live happily ever after without the pumpkin bowls. Are they serious?

Are those $72.00 biscuits pre made? Oh man, were in it now. They looked like flat confetti...??... Can't put my finger on it something... Vertigo, some kind of warped confusion... Erwin Allen recipe? Nothing that should be touched without a stick handy.

It was a funny read. Especially the Urban chicken coop. Hey now, the surburbian chickens need a good hood to lay eggs in. It better be posh. They don't do country! It had better be tagged with a Rooster.

Munky.

I thought it hilariously sarcastic.

I didn't think the language was particularly foul, but then I work in an Emergency Department most Saturday nights and compared to what I hear there, that's pretty tame. I admit I can be a bit of a potty mouth myself at times :angel:

It was sarcastic and very funny in parts. I worked for many, many eons in the business world and never developed the habit of having a potty mouth. And I never allowed my kids to have one in my presence. I will be going to my daughter's house for Thanksgiving and Christmas. she is having a large family party for Chirstmas and always warns her guests that watch your mouth in front of my mother.

I just fail to see the need for using such language. There are so many beautiful words in the English language that can get your point across just as well. And yes, you can call me a prude. I know I am. :angel:

Oh my. Now there is a bitter human being. I read about 1/3 of that and just X'd it away. Not funny to me.
How fouL. Enough said.

I found it difficult to get past this:

I bought a Williams-Sonoma cheese grater for my mom for Christmas once because I had no idea what to get her and I was in a mall and there the grater was, just large enough to take up space under the tree and just cheap enough to let her know that I put NO thought or care into buying a gift for her. Anyway, I paid for this grater with a credit card. And when a place like Williams-Sonoma gets your credit card and thus your address, you are on the mailing list for life. Every holiday season, my mail slot gets bukkake'd with monstrous catalogs packed with **** I would never, ever buy, and the W-S catalog stands out among them.

Clearly, this guy has other issues & is not into cooking. So, why go there - literally.

That reminds me, I should pick up some chocolate aebelskiver mix.

I love WS.

Last edited:
Oh my. Now there is a bitter human being. I read about 1/3 of that and just X'd it away. Not funny to me.
How fouL. Enough said.

Thank you. So I am not the only one who found his need to use expletive language offensive. I am surprised that some folks don't understnad why I found it offensive. Doesn't my signature line tell them anything? :angel:

well, drew magary is no dave barry, that's for sure. but this piece of his had some very funny s__t in it in places, and i think he has demonstrated some decent potential for writing comedic material. the explicit language was not so much heavy-handed as it was unevenly, and not very skillfully, applied. in some places it was overly self-conscious, or simply ineffectively or awkwardly used. i agree with some of the previous posters that the author's writing suffers at times from being mean-spirited--his good sense of the sardonic at times tends to run amok, and sarcastic humor gets buried or diminished by his poorly disguised and unnecessary hostility.

overall, i like magary's style of humor, though. all he needs are some minor adjustments to the negativity, and his overly conscious use of profanity, imo....

Ok, I wasn't impressed, and I happen to love Williams-Sonoma, and I was looking at one of their catalogs this morning. I got bored reading it and stopped, so maybe it got funny later in the article.

I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone is so upset over a few words.

Words are just a bunch of letters bunched together until an individual attaches emotion to them.

There are more offensive things in the world than a bunch of words.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone is so upset over a few words.

Words are just a bunch of letters bunched together until an individual attaches emotion to them.

There are more offensive things in the world than a bunch of words.

Here are some letters bunched together with some truly attached meaning in them:
"Welcome to Discuss Cooking jessecar. Hope you have a great down under Thanksgiving" :)

Last edited:
When a person feels a need to describe something in their life with foul language, it tells me that there is a serious lack of education in the English language department. The parents and school system failed this person. Certainly not qualified for any job that requires a written report.

jesscar, I understand that you are presently experiencing some lovely weather, while we are preparing for winter. Go outside and enjoy the fresh air. Think of us in the cold, all bundled up and just hoping for sunshine. Put a big smile on your face and just say "Hello" to a total stranger. Do it to an elderly person. You would be sruprised at how good that person will feel for the rest of the day. :angel:

The writer has potential, but could use a good editor.

He obviously doesn't care much for good espresso. My espresso maker, without a built in grinder, costs about $500. It was a wedding present, so I know it is 15 years old. I would buy another one if it broke. At least I won't be spending the $2,000 or so that a friend of mine spent on her fancy, with built in grinder, espresso machine. Neither one of us has any servants.

The writer has potential, but could use a good editor.

He obviously doesn't care much for good espresso. My espresso maker, without a built in grinder, costs about $500. It was a wedding present, so I know it is 15 years old. I would buy another one if it broke. At least I won't be spending the $2,000 or so that a friend of mine spent on her fancy, with built in grinder, espresso machine. Neither one of us has any servants.

oh tl, do tell us more about your espresso machine. how good is the espresso, how often do you make it, who gave you a five hundred dollar wedding gift....:)

oh tl, do tell us more about your espresso machine. how good is the espresso, how often do you make it, who gave you a five hundred dollar wedding gift....:)
A bunch of friends got together and bought it. They twisted my arm for a list for the shower. I was thinking group gift of a $100 dollar espresso machine. If half the attendees of the shower had kicked in $10 each, that would have covered it.

I make espresso almost every single day. I can manage to do it first thing in the morning, before my first coffee. :rolleyes: I don't think it makes better espresso than a cheaper espresso machine would make. The advantage of this one is that it is still going strong after 15 years. I think the kind of coffee makes a bigger difference, but I may be wrong.

Now you got me thinking about espresso, so I went and made one. :) :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom