ISO Recipe for Fresh Apple Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShellyCooks

Senior Cook
I have lots of apples from my two very old trees. I've made apple pies, crisps, cobblers, apple-walnut bread, applesauce, etc. I remember long ago a recipe for fresh apple bars -- sweet cookie-like crust on the bottom, a layer of cinnamon flavored apples on top of the crust and a light crumble on top of the apples. I have found lots of recipes online, but none like I have described. (I can't seem to find any on this site.) Does anyone have a TNT recipe for Fresh Apple Bars or does anyone know a site that would help me find the recipe? Thanks for any suggestions.

That's the recipe, Merstar! Thank you sooooo much! I know these bars will be a hit as one of my Thanksgiving desserts (with a dab of fresh whipped cream!?). Yum! Thanks, again!

That's the recipe, Merstar! Thank you sooooo much! I know these bars will be a hit as one of my Thanksgiving desserts (with a dab of fresh whipped cream!?). Yum! Thanks, again!

Shelly, you're very welcome! Let me know how they turn out!

Last edited:
Oooh! I too have an ancient apple tree, and every other year it goes crazy. This sounds great, thanks, Merstar!

I am about Granny Smith' out. I know they are tart, and as a result they call for just too much sugar to make the edible. I try to get Macouns when I can. Sometime I will buy a mix of two or three different ones. :angel:

I'd like to make these also! Now I just have to find some good-tasting apples!

I just recently discovered a new variety of apples that have me all excited about apples again--very aptly named, too, "honey crisps"--check them out, merstar, bet they'll hve you excited too!:)

thanks for a very yummy looking apple piecake recipe, merstar.

I just recently discovered a new variety of apples that have me all excited about apples again--very aptly named, too, "honey crisps"--check them out, merstar, bet they'll hve you excited too!:)

thanks for a very yummy looking apple piecake recipe, merstar.

You're very welcome, vitauta!
Ya know, I tried honey crisps a few years ago, because everyone was raving about them, but they had very little taste. I must have gotten a lousy batch, and will have to try them again!

I am about Granny Smith' out. I know they are tart, and as a result they call for just too much sugar to make the edible. I try to get Macouns when I can. Sometime I will buy a mix of two or three different ones. :angel:

I've never seen Macouns anywhere here in NC. What are they like?

living in Virginia, and having lived in upstate new York too, I've been surrounded and spoiled most of my life, by the most incredible apple crops, apple varieties and apple products. so, I hate to buy supermarket apples that all too often turn out to be mealy, thick-skinned or practically tasteless. i'm happy to see farmers and local produce growers being embraced by a receptive and appreciative public and market today once again.

Last edited:
I've never seen Macouns anywhere here in NC. What are they like?

Great bakiing apples, but less sour than Granny Smith. More sweetness to them. Thus you use less sugar. I always take a small taste of any apple I am using for baking. Their sweetness or sourness can vary quite often. The ones you buy this week may be more sour tasting than last week. And in the winter they may be from a different storage place. :angel:

living in Virginia, and having lived in upstate new York too, I've been surrounded and spoiled most of my life, by the most incredible apple crops, apple varieties and apple products. so, I hate to buy supermarket apples that all too often turn out to be mealy, thick-skinned or practically tasteless. i'm happy to see farmers and local produce growers being embraced by a receptive and appreciative public and market today once again.

We are surrounded by apple farms for picking. It is a big business in the fall. There is a site of local farms telling you what kind they each grow. Very few grow Northern Spy. I think it is because they are really late fall apples. The last to ripen. Too late for the public pickiing season. When I do have to buy store apples, I always try to get Washington apples. They may cost more, but so worth it. Anytime I am buying produce of any kind, I look for the stickers on it. I try not to buy fruit from outside the U.S. there I go again. Buy American! :angel:

addie, you and i must have shared the same apple country. apples i miss from new york are macintosh, northern spy and rome. these varieties were all great cooking apples--crisp and sweet, with just enough tartness to make them favorites for eating too. picking some apples from orchards along the highways on road trips was a fun way to get free snacks and stretch our legs. and that wonderful apple aroma perfuming the air....

addie, i must agree with you about the superior quality of washington state apples, like, when they have a wenatchee stamp on them, you know they're gonna be some fine tasting apples! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom