ISO comments/advice on Thanksgiving menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PT747

Assistant Cook
Hello all! New guy here and me and g/f are going to share our first Thanksgiving together with some friends and family. I havent hosted this dinner in years and would like to know if this menu should be ok, because I like to have everything perfect, lol. For 15 people:
15lb turkey
7lb spiral sliced smoked ham
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing
corn
brussel sprouts and bacon
green bean casserole
salad
buttered rolls
cranberry salad
pumpkin pie and blueberry pie

Thank you and let me know if im missing anything. I know different parts of the country serve different, Im in Ohio.

It all sounds great and I, too, would recommend another dessert, but one that is fairly light. Even after such a filling and calorie-laden meal, it's nice to finish with something sweet. Maybe some brandied fruit.

You have MORE than enough food. Accounting for 8 oz of protein p/p is PLENTY. Even when factoring in the turkey waste (what can't be consumed, bones, etc). Accounting ONE POUND p/p is a lot. AND you have the ham as well, which adds up to almost another 1/2 pound p/p.

Starch normally sits at 4 oz p/p, but in this case, considering other starches like the stuffing, rolls, etc, you can lowball it easily to 3 oz p/p and you will STILL have plenty left over.

As for the extra dessert, I don't think it's necessary. If you'd like to have some chopped fruit on hand, fine. Never know if a diabetic or gluten intolerant will show and tell you at last minute. But you have plenty of food.

As for the math, in case you're wondering, here is an example:

For potato @ 3 oz p/p for 15 people ~ 3 x 15 = 45 oz. Divide by 16 to convert to pounds = 2.8 pounds. Not even 3 pounds of potatoes are needed.
I wouldn't start peeling a ten pound bag if I were you.

Same math applies to veg. 4 oz p/p generally, but again you can lowball it to 3 oz p/p accounting for the enormity of the meal.

Looks great to me also! Are you serving any appetizers? Many people do not so if you haven't thought about it don't worry.

Yes, we have appetizers planned. Meat and cheese with olives and pickles and crackers. I hope this goes well as its our first holiday dinner with multiple families. Thanks.

It's good that you're not going overboard with the appetizers so they can have plenty of room for the main event! Have a wonderful time with your extended family PT and remember you are making memories. There's just nothing like cooking with love.

Hi, The menu looks perfect. After you put the turkey in the oven, take 2 deep breaths, and the day will go well too. Happy thanksgiving !

Back
Top Bottom