Vegan Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Kat

Cook
Saturday the Mr. and I are going to a place in Dallas called Spiral Diner. It's all vegan and I'm not too sure what to think of it. We eat vegetarian at our house but not vegan -- in other words, I cook with and eat dairy, eggs, and even the occasional fish. I know it's not really vegetarian, but the bottom line is we don't eat fowl, pork or beef. There.

I don't want tempeh or TVP or any of that jazz, and don't do veggie burgers or tofu. I think it's a texture issue with me, plus I figure why try to mimic meat? Just eat your dang vegetables! LOL!

Here's the menu (I sure hope the link works). What would you order?

Oh for stinks sake! I'll have to post the link tomorrow. I still have a day to decide but for some reason, my home computer is being wonky. I think it's because I'm remote dialed into the office system (um, I'm supposed to be working right now) ...

Last edited:
Both my wife and I eat vegetarian and vegan from time to time, but not exclusively. We still eat meat, just not large portions of it.

Almost everything under the "Hot Plates" section sounds good to me. I don't mind tofu, though.

Funny thing about tofu. I know a lot of people who eat it, but I don't know anyone who craves it. It's a little like celery in that regard, I guess. :LOL:

To be honest, I wouldn't go at all. When I go to a restaurant, it's usually because they have something I want. If I have to force myself to pick something from among unappealing options - well, what's the point?

Or get an appetizer and a sandwich. :)

I habitually check Yelp first about restaurants, and this one has almost all super-positive comments. However, the majority of them like various meat fakes. I'm of two minds about that. Part of me scoffs at rejecting meat but trying hard to imitate meat. But I guess, if you like the taste of meat dishes and want to avoid the meat itself, this does sound like the place. Deserts get a lot of mention, too. Not a bad performance for a veg outfit operating in Dallas.

As to the menu, I'm fond of hummus, and someone said the potato salad was great. The hummus wraps and parmesan wrap sound good. So does the red coconut curry noodles.

But I'm afraid I just don't have the motivation to seek out ersatz mean dishes. I think I'll go somewhere for the real thing, thanks. But the stuff mentioned above does sound good.

Thanks, all. Ordinarily it's not the kind of place I would go, but we're going to a meeting of Forks Over Knives and that's where it's being held. It'll be for lunch so I'm sure I can get away with hummus, maybe a salad, and a dessert.

And I should have remembered to look at restaurant reviews online! It's so rare that we go somewhere new that I forget to do that.

My first reaction was stronger than GG's. They would have to pay me to eat there after reading the menu. However, it's understandable if you must go there for a meeting. I'd do well with a salad, as I always enjoy salad.

So guess what? I actually got out if this anyway! He said we would go by ourselves sometime soon but for tomorrow, i don't have to worry about it. At least I'll know the menu when we finally do go! Thanks for all the input.

I've been to a bunch of vegan restaurants. Like any restaurant it depends on the quality of the food and the chef. I have been to quite a few amazing vegan restaurants. You might be surprised how good it is

I've been to a bunch of vegan restaurants. Like any restaurant it depends on the quality of the food and the chef. I have been to quite a few amazing vegan restaurants. You might be surprised how good it is
+1

Like anything else, it's probably best to reserve judgment until after you've actually tried it.

To be honest, I wouldn't go at all. When I go to a restaurant, it's usually because they have something I want. If I have to force myself to pick something from among unappealing options - well, what's the point?

Or get an appetizer and a sandwich. :)

I agree GG ;)

Also, I love my meat too much :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom