Winter-y food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Kat

Cook
I have to live vicariously thru the rest of you because it's high 70s in my part of Texas today. I'm so ready for winter and comfort food!!!

What's your favorite go-to meal in the wintertime? Go ahead and try to make me jealous, and please just totally disregard the fact that I'm wearing shorts and flip-flips (on Dec. 1, no less) and still about to break a sweat!!

Homemade Soups, I go nuts this time of year and don't have enough burners to accommodate my soup fetish.

Alix mentioned cream of mushroom soup on another thread...back to the store....

Another + for homemade soups. Guess I have a soup fetish too. I made CP split pea with ham yesterday, couple of weeks ago it was beef shank vegetable barley soup.

Hmm. Mushroom soup sounds good.

Last edited:
I like braises and stews. Some favorites are Italian pot roast with rosemary and Barolo, posole with tomatillos and hominy, and chicken cacciatore.

Any type of crockpot is always nice in winter and for dessert a nice bread and butter pudding :yum:

I too am a a soup and stew kind of person in winter. My faves are Split Pea ( coming up pretty quick) and clam chowder. If there are no clams in the house, a simple cream of potato, basically the same is good. I like chili, and after all these years, I don't have a written recipe.

Things in the oven that make the house smell good.

I also bake more in colder weather. Last week I made an apple pie and today a Pumpkin pie. ( Libby's back of the can recipe). I was so good at T'sgiving and didn't have any ( ok, too full for dessert) so I'm making up for lost caleries now.

Today !! it was mid 40's F. gray/ cloudy/ misty but it seemed warm. I grilled fish and slices delicata squash with herbs for dinner.

I am another soup fiend. I love using puréed root veggies and squashes to make thick, hearty soups like butternut apple, or roasted beet and turnip. I tend to make more potato dishes, like shepherds pie and of course there's always home made Mac and cheese, the queen of comfort food.

"Winter" is our growing season.:D There really is no particular time of year that comfort food comes to the forefront. We just make it whenever we wish. Stews, chili, soups and pot roasts.

Beef pot roast, boeuf Bourguignon, goulash (the real kind), chicken paprikash, osso buco, beef mushroom barley soup, black bean soup, sour cream mushroom soup, green pea soup, tomato rosemary soup, potato leek soup.

I only have one goto meal, grilled chicken wings. And I make them equally in the winter or summer. I do find my gravy comsuption starting to go up though... :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom