Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How to moisturize carved turkey slices after refrigeration? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/how-to-moisturize-carved-turkey-slices-after-refrigeration-83061.html)

rcald2000 12-02-2012 09:24 PM

How to moisturize carved turkey slices after refrigeration?

I have a slew of carved turkey slices in my refrigerator that I want to heat up to eat, but they are very dry. I had them stored in a zipper zip lock bag, but it didn't trap the moisture or maybe they weren't so moist to begin with. How can I get the moisture back into them and is using a microwave a bad idea?
- Rob

Zhizara 12-02-2012 09:33 PM

I always reheat turkey slices in gravy.

Addie 12-02-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhizara (Post 1213743)
I always reheat turkey slices in gravy.

+1 Heat it on low. It gives the turkey time to absorb some of the moisture. :angel:

bakechef 12-02-2012 09:41 PM

Use broth. I will lay the slices in broth and warm them, covered in the oven.

rcald2000 12-02-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1213746)
+1 Heat it on low. It gives the turkey time to absorb some of the moisture. :angel:

On low in a microwave? Sorry for the silly question, but I have very little experience cooking. I've lived in Manhattan all my life, but now I'm forced to learn to cook. Thanks for your reply.

rcald2000 12-02-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakechef (Post 1213748)
Use broth. I will lay the slices in broth and warm them, covered in the oven.

Very silly question I have, but would I purchase the broth? I didn't cook the original turkey; they are left-overs from my family. I have a container of chicken broth in my cupboard.

Dawgluver 12-02-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcald2000 (Post 1213761)
Very silly question I have, but would I purchase the broth? I didn't cook the original turkey; they are left-overs from my family. I have a container of chicken broth in my cupboard.

Not silly at all! Any broth, even a boullion cube with water will work. You can also make a gravy with the broth, whisk in a bit of flour or cornstarch. Keep stirring till it's lump-free and tastes good. You can also freeze the leftover turkey.

Microwaving in chicken broth will work just fine. Put the turkey pieces in a dish, put in some broth, cover with a paper towel or piece of plastic wrap, then nuke for a couple minutes. Check, taste, nuke some more if needed.

Kayelle 12-02-2012 10:47 PM

You could also buy a package of turkey gravy. There is a section in the grocery that has all kinds of mixes in envelopes and all you do is add water to the contents as directed on the package and bring to a boil. You'll end up with a pretty good gravy for your dry turkey slices.
We love helping folks here, and no question is silly, so welcome to Discuss Cooking !

rcald2000 12-02-2012 11:25 PM

Thank you to everyone for your wonderful posts. I really appreciate your time.
- Rob

Dawgluver 12-02-2012 11:33 PM

Just a thought, if the turkey slices are from Thanksgiving, they are getting a bit old, and you might want to consider freezing them in a ziplock freezer bag, vaccuum seal bag, or just pitching.