Our Christmas Trees 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got frustrated and called Spike. He walked me through. Now if I can just remember what I did. If not he will get another call.

Last year they had a big flood in the storage room. A lot of the decorations go wet and were covered in mud. Including the snowflakes. I suppose I could have washed them and restarched them. But I will have to get busy and make some more.

When I first moved in here, I gave all my decorations to the building. The crocheted snowflakes had glitter glued on them and the lights from the tree made them really sparkle. I have more pictures that I will send along shortly. :angel:

We cleared the space for the tree this morning, and TB got all the boxes out of the shed the other day, but I was a little tired so didn't get it up tonight as planned. We have a fake tree - not out of want but I am severely asthmatic and allergic to most evergreens! I would love a real tree but at least this one I don't have to water and it looks great with all the decorations.

My only sad point is that the last three Christmases Dad sat in the living room while I decorated the tree (TB puts it up and adds the lights, I take it from there). It was so neat going over ornaments from my childhood with Dad and showing him TB's family ornaments and ones we have bought together over the years. But I am sure both my parents will be looking down at our masterpiece tree when it is done!

Will post pictures of the "reveal" ;)

Addie, that is one big, beautiful tree.
:angel:

That is the Community Room and is 1.5 stories high. The tree goes right up to the very top. There isn't even room for an angel. My next door neighbor did most of the decorating. When I went down to see her yesterday morning, she was up on the ladder doing the top. I threw a tizzy fit. She is older than me. Went to the office and they made her come down. They had the maintenance man finish the top under her direction. :angel:

keeping Christmas low key this year, so no tree. I just need a break, hopefully being able to have Christmas on my own terms this year will help me get excited about Christmas again.

I did hang a wreath on the front of the house, and have the mantle decorated!

keeping Christmas low key this year, so no tree. I just need a break, hopefully being able to have Christmas on my own terms this year will help me get excited about Christmas again.

I did hang a wreath on the front of the house, and have the mantle decorated!

I have done that for several years. I no longer can afford presents for the family. With 17 grand and great grand children, who can afford it. So if I am going to give any presents it is with my efforts toward food. This year it is with cookies. Everyone in the family loves peanut butter cookies. You can never go wrong with them. And I also am making the pumpkin/cranberry/nut cookies for my daughter. The last ones are the Sea Salt ones from The Chew. The family knows to put in their requests for cookies early. The Sea Salt ones will be the surprise for them.

One year I told my sister that I was going to my daughter's for Christmas. Then I told my daughter that I was going to my sister's. I got to spend a very quiet day at home. I did the same thing the next year. But I got caught. My sister called my daughter's house asking to speak to me. The gig was up. One year I did go in town to help serve the homeless veterans. I found that to be very satisfying. :angel:

I have done that for several years. I no longer can afford presents for the family. With 17 grand and great grand children, who can afford it. So if I am going to give any presents it is with my efforts toward food. This year it is with cookies. Everyone in the family loves peanut butter cookies. You can never go wrong with them. And I also am making the pumpkin/cranberry/nut cookies for my daughter. The last ones are the Sea Salt ones from The Chew. The family knows to put in their requests for cookies early. The Sea Salt ones will be the surprise for them.

One year I told my sister that I was going to my daughter's for Christmas. Then I told my daughter that I was going to my sister's. I got to spend a very quiet day at home. I did the same thing the next year. But I got caught. My sister called my daughter's house asking to speak to me. The gig was up. One year I did go in town to help serve the homeless veterans. I found that to be very satisfying. :angel:

I asked my mom to not come down this year. The last two Christmas were rough with one being my dad's last (we kind of knew it would be) and last year when he was gone. I know that if mom is here then family will land from out of town, so I will have a house full. I work 8 hour shifts and then come home to a house full. I spend every waking moment making sure that everyone is well fed and having a good time. By the time Christmas is over, I'm exhausted. I have started to dread Christmas. Mom has lots of family back home, so she wont be alone.

Add to that, I love to bake for people as gifts. There is a downside to this, people will ask me to bake for them to give as gifts (they pay me), so my holiday season means 8 hours at my job and all evening until midnight baking for others, because I couldn't say NO! Not this year, I'm baking what I want when I want and giving it as gifts. My co-workers are the ones that think I'm their personal baker. Luckily my friends will just enjoy the stuff and maybe ask for the recipe. I'm back to enjoying holiday baking.

Learning to say "No" is a lifetime effort. My daughter has no idea how bad the pain is in my leg. And I don't want her to know. She has enough on her plate. Only Spike knows. He does what he can for me. So when she asked me to make some cookies for her party, I could not say "No." :angel:

image-1039909752.jpg

I'm not at home enough to have a tree at home so I do my decorating at school. Since I've had the LifeSkills class I've forced myself to give up control of the tree & let the kids decorate it. Some years I can't resist rearranging after school but they did a pretty good job this year. Note the time on the clock...That's PM... See it's dark outside. I've been there late a lot this year.
Under the clock is a framed poem one of my former students , not from LifeSkills, wrote & framed for me when she graduated high school. She just graduated from Johnson & Wales Culinary school last summer & came back a few weeks ago to show me her diploma. Made me cry.

Cindercat, that is a beautiful tree, and a wonderful story about your student. You really enjoy your job and it shows. Your Lifeskills students will really benefit from your caring heart.

I take no credit for how the tree looks in the photo. I brought in a dead evergreen and SO made it look festive and attractive. Then I took the picture.

Back
Top Bottom