DEFINITIONS (game, English)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Maloney

Senior Cook
DEFINITIONS (english only)

Please post one word. (Provide the source used for finding the word such as internet or english dictionary)

The next person will please be responsible for providing the definition of the word.
You may provide more than one definition if desired.

The original poster of a word may 'jump in' later to provide more information on their word, however, please finish by refering us back to the original word we are searching for.

After providing a definition. Please provide a new word (and source)

EXAMPLE... let's say I post the word: caprification (webster's dictionary)

The next person will please provide the definition:
caprification... to ripen figs. A process intended to hasten the ripening of figs.

After providing the definition. Please provide a new word (and the source used for finding the word)

Please be careful with spelling. Some spellings may not even look like real words.

OK. First word.
What is the definition of: flitch (webster's dictionary)

I can't play this game--I took courses on writing and testing definitions and often do this for a living. But I will be stalking this thread!

flitch

1: a side of cured meat; especially : a side of bacon
2: a longitudinal section of a log

What is the definition of Anamorphosis (internet)

anamorphosis... a distorted image which looks normal when viewed with a special device.

What is the definition of: Concatenate.... (webster's dictionary)

Last edited:
From Latin, to string/link together.

What is the definition of poliosis? (Seeing as I discovered this today re: myself, I've learned a new word today.)

From Latin, to string/link together.

What is the definition of poliosis? (Seeing as I discovered this today re: myself, I've learned a new word today.)

wow, that word was actually not in my GIANT Webster's dictionary. At first I was thinking it was related to the disease polio.
Found the definition on the internet. Leaning new words here too :)

poliosis...decrease or absence of malanin (color) in head hair, eyebrows or eyelashes.

What is the definition of: reversis (webster's)

wow, that word was actually not in my GIANT Webster's dictionary. At first I was thinking it was related to the disease polio.

poliosis...decrease or absence of malanin (color) in head hair, eyebrows or eyelashes.

Not at all related to polio. Y'all must know s/one who has that "skunk streak" in their hair? Well, mine is the middle of the back of my head...wasn't there 9 months ago...or maybe it was, but it was not "disclosed" until I got my hair cut...

Type of card game similar to Hearts.

What is swarf? (Hint: it is of Scand. origin and a term used in the metalturning business.)

Type of card game similar to Hearts.

What is swarf? (Hint: it is of Scand. origin and a term used in the metalturning business.)

swarf.... to turn in a lathe, the grit worn away from grindstones used in grinding cutlery wet. also/...to faint. to swoon.

(you are gonna laugh,,,,,, I was looking up Scand. Then I realized you meant Scand. as in Scandinavian origin. hahaha Duh.... I do catch on eventually.
next word,
What is the definition of: semiquaver (webster's)

semiquaver

In music, a sixteenth note (American) or semiquaver (British) is a note played for one sixteenth the duration of a whole note, hence the name.

Ok ... here is your next word ... found online

Acersecomic

OOoo HoooHooo, you are a clever one MrsLMB coming up with a word that is not in my Webster's. Maybe that's because it is a new word 'pending investigation'? hehehe (had to get the def online of course)

acersecomic.... someone who has not cut their hair in their life.

next word is: trionyx

Trionyx is a genus of softshell turtles belonging to the family Trionychidae. This genus is extant and its type species is Trionyx triunguis. These softshell turtles are aquatic piscivore-carnivores.

Very cool .. something I didn't know about !!! Dang I am getting smart playing this game :LOL:

Nudiustertian

nudiustertion... of or relating to the day before yesterday.

Dang, I am getting smarter here too. Long as I'm awake. Tomorrow I'll forget some of it. But not all. :)

Next word is: bombazet (webster)

What is a knitty noddy?

It is a tool used to make skeins from yarn. Pretty cool !!!

Define Inverisimilitude

Inverisimilitude... means lack of verisimilitude; improbability

What is the definition of: carnosity (webster's)
Carnosity is a medical term for a fleshy, fungous growth.

Buzz, woof, and sizzle are examples of onomatopoeic words (from Greek onoma + poiein). What does onomatopoeia mean?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom