Handy method for making burger patties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
I came across this method for easily making lots of burger patties, and it worked so well I thought I would share it for anyone who has never heard of it. Works great for square or round patties.

Roll hamburger into a log. Use loaf pan, or just bang on counter for square edges (I made mine round). Freeze for 30 min, or until beginning to firm up. Slice into patties with sharp knife.

I weighed each patty (I made ten) just to see, and all but one were within 1/8 of an ounce. The tenth was 1/4 ounce larger than the rest lol. Big deal, right?? I did do minimal shaping, to make the edges nice, and make them perfectly round, but you wouldn't have to. I'm just anal (I fixed them so they were all exactly the same weight too).

Next time just for fun, I think I'm going to mix in some seasonings before I roll up my log.

Here's a gift that will last all hamburger lovers a life time. Many years ago I was selling fresh ground hamburgers in my little restaurant. Dozens a day. Forming the burgers into a consistent size was always an issue. I noticed what you see in the photo in a cardboard box. It was a white plastic collar about 4" across and 2" high. It was left over from when the plumbers had been working on the restaurant I guess. I washed and dried it and took it over to a big tray of fresh hamburger meat. I set it on the stainless table and took a small handful of the meat and set it in the ring and gently, with my knuckles, pressed the meat down to fill the ring half full. I then gently with my knuckles holding down the now what you could call a 'patty' lifted the now what you could call a 'ring mold' off the patty. It was perfectly formed. Not too compacted. I carefully set this first precious patty on a piece of waxed paper. I took another piece of wax paper and set it on the table and set the ring mold on top of it and repeated the process then set patty #2 on top of patty #1. In ten minutes I had probably made 15 or twenty patties all nicely stacked 5 high between wax paper! It was like an angel had visited! From that day on we used that ring to make probably thousands of perfect fluffy patties. Tips for using: The fat in the burger means you never have to 'grease' the inside of the mold. The burgers slide out easily every time. We found that putting enough meat in the mold to half fill it was about right but after each patty comes out of the mold you can gently press down on the patty thereby making it a bit bigger but thinner. Notice this mold has a little 'lip' around the top. That doesn't matter as long as the 'lip' is at the top obviously. You can find this size in building supply stores that are black. Obviously the color doesn't matter. This little mold has been brought a smile to my face every time I use it.
I never have added any seasoning ie salt/pepper to my burgers. I believe the salt turns bitter when cooked too long and the oil in pepper scorches very easily and also adds bitterness. I season everything only after cooking. JMO.
I really hope some of you will get yourself one of these 'plumbing' molds. I'd be interested to get your opinion. Also on the plus side the plumbing collar only costs a couple of bucks. It is very easy to clean. It's indestructible and it store in the back of your drawer easily and quietly until you need it. When there's a sale on fresh hamburger meat at our butchers I buy twenty or so pounds and make 'burgers' from it and store them in Zip locks with a piece of wax paper between each one and freeze them. When we want a couple of burgers I just open a Zip lock and gently pry a couple apart. When I want to use hamburger in anything I simply thaw out however many patties needed. I thought I had added a photo but I don't see it.

Last edited:
I have an egg ring that would probably work great for something like that, but I still like the slicing method :)

Make sure any Mold material you purchase is food safe...

So true. It would be best to go to the plumbing department where the plastic piping for water is.

I went to a BBQ once and after mixing the meat it was getting tiresome shaping the burgers. So I asked the lady of the house if she had an ice cream dasher. She did. Started to make them by the dasher. Scoop, press against the side of the bowl, plop down on a large sheet of wax paper, flatten with the bottom of a glass. We went through five pounds of seasoned hamburger in no time. The glass was a bit larger than the buns. So by the time the burger was cooked, it was the perfect size for the bun. :angel:

So true. It would be best to go to the plumbing department where the plastic piping for water is.
:angel:

And make sure it's for water coming into the house, not out of the house, there are different specs for the two types. I'm all for saving a buck on shopping in hardware stores, but caution needs to be taken.

I buy ground beef in 6-pound packages from Costco. Using a scale, I divide it into half-pound portions. I wrap them individually and freeze them. The half-pound size is good for our burgers and two make a pound for ground beef recipes. I shape burgers by hand. SO likes thinner patties while I like thicker ones.

I do the same as Andy (buying some today as a matter of fact). Except I weigh and freeze half in 1/2 pound packs for tacos, meatloaves, etc. and the rest I season and form into 4 oz patties. I do not worry about shape, I prefer the rustic look ;). TB usually has two to my one. :)

Make sure any Mold material you purchase is food safe...
That's a good point. Although the actual surface contact time between the ground beef, and of course only the meat that actually touches the white plastic ring, is about thirty seconds there is of course a risk that the plastic may be a health hazard. To solve this possible health hazard I recommend wrapping a pice of plastic wrap around the ring first. In this way the health hazard will be avoided. I will check out if this white plastic plumbing fitting is 'food safe' and post it here. In the mean time please use caution when using this ring.
Warning! I just found this and now I must withdraw my advice on using any 'plastic wrap'. Clear Plastic Wrap & Food Safety | LIVESTRONG.COM I'm going to throw out all the frozen things in my freezer right now that are wrapped in this 'hazardous material'! Who knew eh? My friend will cut me a stainless steel ring mold and as long as I make sure to keep it clean I won't need to worry anymore.

Shrek uses the egg rings he got, he says they make it just right. I just use my hands and ask him how much he wants me to use.

Maybe, put the ground meat mix on plastic, cover it with another piece, lay 1/2 inch stick on each side, roll it out and then cut out like cookies.

Shrek uses the egg rings he got, he says they make it just right. I just use my hands and ask him how much he wants me to use.

Maybe, put the ground meat mix on plastic, cover it with another piece, lay 1/2 inch stick on each side, roll it out and then cut out like cookies.
I've done that too--rolled the ground beef out 1/2" thick and cut with one of my biscuit cutters. I put pieces of parchment paper between the burgers. I just don't keep that much ground beef in the house...not something I use often.

I came across this method for easily making lots of burger patties, and it worked so well I thought I would share it for anyone who has never heard of it. Works great for square or round patties.

Roll hamburger into a log. Use loaf pan, or just bang on counter for square edges (I made mine round). Freeze for 30 min, or until beginning to firm up. Slice into patties with sharp knife.

I weighed each patty (I made ten) just to see, and all but one were within 1/8 of an ounce. The tenth was 1/4 ounce larger than the rest lol. Big deal, right?? I did do minimal shaping, to make the edges nice, and make them perfectly round, but you wouldn't have to. I'm just anal (I fixed them so they were all exactly the same weight too).

Next time just for fun, I think I'm going to mix in some seasonings before I roll up my log.

I like this idea and will be using it in the future. I've always mixed seasonings into ground beef to make our hamburgers but hated the making patties part.

I go with Heston on this one. He uses salt and plastic wrap to bind the ground beef together.

Good luck guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gong to be looking for a couple of large chuck roasts tomorrow to grind for patties and Swedish Meatballs. I find that if I roll the log into 12" and with a ruler cut at 6". Then cut those two parts into 3" sections and then those sections in half again, they are all the same size and weight. I dread tomorrow morning. Grocery shopping day. I don't know why I am complaining. Spike brings in all my groceries from the car and then puts them all away. All I have to do is say "Thank You." :angel:

What a great idea Skittle!!
I often do things like that for cookie measurement, but hadn't ever considered it for hamburger patties - thanks! :D

The easiest thing to do is to spread ground meat on the surface to desired thickness take the big egg ring or other type cutter, I prefer an empty can, just rinsed in cold water. Then just cut out the patties one by one. Collect them spread the leftover meat again and repeat. I made 200 hamburgers for my daughter’s party like that in minutes.

I will probably use Skittle's method the next time I buy ground beef in a big blob. I usually buy ground beef at Costco already shaped into patties. It's the same ground beef they sell in the big blob and it looks like they use Skittle's method. One of those patties weighs about 1/2 pound. I wrap them individually and then I just grab however many I need. When Stirling and I are having hamburgers we usually defrost two patties and reshape into three patties. For hamburgers for two people that's not really much effort.

Back
Top Bottom