Pantry organization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a lot of extra bottles of vinegar, olive oil, flour, etc. I don't have a lot of kitchen cupboards. I had solved the problem of where to store the pans, etc., that I don't use daily, but still had this issue of all these extra staples (I buy extra when they are on sale). I realized this week that I have two empty closets in two bedrooms. I also have a bunch of 4 l (gallon) jars that I have been bringing home from work. And, who designed that cupboard over the fridge? Today I labeled the cupboard door with my label maker so I know what is in that cupboard and filled the cleaned, dried jars (I let the jars dry for a week and then dried them again with my hair dryer) with dried pasta, dried beans, rice, flour, cereal, grains. Labeled them and put them on the top shelf of one of the empty closets in one of the spare bedrooms, as well as the extra bottles of vinegar, olive oil, etc. Out of sight, but hopefully not out of mind. How do you manage storing extra stuff in your pantry?

Last edited:
Stacked all over the place...I really need to get into the pantry and clean out a bunch of things.

Stacked all over the place...I really need to get into the pantry and clean out a bunch of things.
That was how things were getting around here--I couldn't find the dried black beans, so I went out and bought more. Well, I found them--they were in that impossible to reach without a chair to stand on cupboard over the fridge. Now I have lots of dried black beans...probably 3 - 4 lb.

Every time we stock up on specials, it gets put where it fits. Use the Columbus method when looking. Discover it first and then land on it!:rolleyes:

MY problem is my can pantry, I need to stop listening to Shrek when he says he wants something. I buy it for him and then he never cooks it, he knows I'm not going to eat it. Things like pork and beans, spam, campbell's soups, etc.

That was how things were getting around here--I couldn't find the dried black beans, so I went out and bought more. Well, I found them--they were in that impossible to reach without a chair to stand on cupboard over the fridge. Now I have lots of dried black beans...probably 3 - 4 lb.

That's how I lost my tapioca...:ROFLMAO:

MY problem is my can pantry, I need to stop listening to Shrek when he says he wants something. I buy it for him and then he never cooks it, he knows I'm not going to eat it. Things like pork and beans, spam, campbell's soups, etc.
Fortunately, I don't have a lot of canned goods--but I do have a lot of home-canned stuff. I have found that writing on the big freezer with a whiteboard marker has helped keep track of what is in that freezer. The downside has been that often what I want is still at the bottom and I have to take everything out to get to what I want.

Fortunately, I don't have a lot of canned goods--but I do have a lot of home-canned stuff. I have found that writing on the big freezer with a whiteboard marker has helped keep track of what is in that freezer. The downside has been that often what I want is still at the bottom and I have to take everything out to get to what I want.

I fixed the freezer problem. All small packages and like items are in bins. Much easier to move them around when I want something. Hamburger bin, Beef Steak and Roast, Pork Bin, Chicken Bin...they are in different colors so I don't even have to look in them.

People who cook would NEVER design a kitchen with an impossible to reach cupboard over the fridge...

I put large and seldom-used items up there, like my roasting pan, large serving dishes and baskets, etc. Limiting where I put food helps prevent over-buying and losing it. Also, I have lazy Susans in some cupboards to help make stuff easier to find.

I put large and seldom-used items up there, like my roasting pan, large serving dishes and baskets, etc. Limiting where I put food helps prevent over-buying and losing it. Also, I have lazy Susans in some cupboards to help make stuff easier to find.
Those are the things I store in my basement! I also have lazy susans (for spices; and big ones in the corner cupboards). I store some of my Pyrex dishes in the cupboard over the sink (another "who designed this" cupboard). I had drawers installed below one of the windows--I store most of my Pyrex that I use regularly in those drawers. My casserole dishes are in a cabinet in the basement--I don't make a lot of casseroles. I don't like any cupboard or shelf where I have to use a step stool or chair to reach. Hence, why I had my bedroom closet designed the way I did (the closet to die for) why the other closets in the house are designed the same way. I only need a step stool in the kitchen. I am of average height for a North American female (5'6"). If I can't reach it, then there is something wrong, IMO.

Last edited:

Yeah, what up with that over-the-fridge cabinet? I'm tall but can't reach it without a chair either, and have no idea what's in there. Pretty sure it's not food items.

I stash rice and pasta in the cupboard over the microwave. Bags of beans, raisins go in a basket on top of the fridge. Canned goods go in the big lazy susan cupboard. Stuff I can is in the basement, along with overflow from yearly Costco trips. Years ago I built a "pantry" in the laundry room (just big shelves really) where I stash extras.

As long as you remember where stuff is, CW, you have a great idea.

Last edited:
The only way those over the fridge cabinets would work is if refrigerators came with rounded tops so you couldn't store stuff on top of them. Who wants to move a bunch of stuff to open a door they haven't looked in in years? :wacko:

I bought one of those full length wire shelf units that mounts to the inside of my pantry door. That holds a LOT of stuff.

The only way those over the fridge cabinets would work is if refrigerators came with rounded tops so you couldn't store stuff on top of them. Who wants to move a bunch of stuff to open a door they haven't looked in in years? :wacko:

I bought one of those full length wire shelf units that mounts to the inside of my pantry door. That holds a LOT of stuff.
And, usually those cupboards are set back and are not flush with the fridge unless you had the kitchen custom-designed. There's nothing on top of my fridge. My parents keep liquor in that cupboard. And in front of it are the cereals, a basket with hats and mittens, the dog's extra leash. I really love my label maker. The "tapes" don't leave residue on the finish of the cabinets, are easy to peel off, but help me remember where I've stashed things like pisole (which I don't use often), corn husks, etc. The tapes also stay on in the freezer, and they stay on in the dishwasher if I want to re-use the containers for the same items. And, labels on the cabinets gives everyone the impression that (a) I either am losing my memory, or (b) I am very organized:LOL:.

Last edited:
I fixed the freezer problem. All small packages and like items are in bins. Much easier to move them around when I want something. Hamburger bin, Beef Steak and Roast, Pork Bin, Chicken Bin...they are in different colors so I don't even have to look in them.

I use those reusable cloth shopping bags. A chicken bag, pork bag, beef, ground beef, etc.. Nothing goes in without being in a designated bag! Very easy to pull out bags and set aside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom