Sirloin Roast help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmainland

Assistant Cook
Hello,
This is my first post. Need help for dinner party tomorrow. I have purchased a 4.5lb sirloin roast for 6 adults. I have searched the internet and have found cooking times from 12 min per lb to 38 min per lb. Im lost. Just looking for a cooking time in a regular oven for medium done roast. Any help would be greatly appreceiated!!

Thanks,
Mark

Place in oven, and roast until you reach an internal temperature close to 140F for medium. Then take it out and let it rest.

Remove from your mind any thought about 'weight and time and temp'. Too many variables to compute. Decide what the rested temp is you want. Medium rare is the ideal IMO 130 F. Rub roast with a bit of Kosher salt and pepper and olive oil. Put roast in a 200 F preheated oven. That's correct 200 F. After an hour check the temp. Keep checking until the internal temp is about 125 F. Just before you take the roast out of the oven crank up the heat to broil. In a couple of minutes the surface will turn a nice golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it rest lightly tented with tin foil. The 'carry over' temp rise will bring it up to about 130 F. Perfect. Roast beef doesn't need to come to the table blazing hot. Just nicely warm is fine. Just make sure the plates are nice and hot. (That's the secret)

Here are the temperature guidelines in the US for food safety.

USDA Blog » Cooking Meat? Check the New Recommended Temperatures
It's interesting how the 'safe' temperatures for cooking meat in America have changed over time isn't it.
How to Make Prime Rib of Beef - Classic Roast Prime Rib au Jus Recipe
Sorry but having lived in France I'm sort of stuck with the opinions of other 'experts' on what is food safe. That would also include pasteurization of bacteria in milk and cheese. It wouldn't surprise me to read in five years that the 'safe' food temps have changed once again.

That's progress for you, makes it a much safer place so you can run out and have fun with extreme sports.

If I can save one person from food poisoning, my job will be worthwhile.

This works every time no matter what beef roast you cook and comes out medium rare. Roast at room temp. Preheat oven to 500F. Rack in middle. Salt and pepper roast, place in roasting pan and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 200F and roast for 1 hour per pound. This is for conventional roasting and not convection.

Finished temp was 145, more than I wanted. Thanks for the help!
'Sous vide' and 'low and slow' 200 F cooking is a bit hard for some people who have been cooking/roasting at screaming hot temperatures for ever to accept. Modern processing techniques are changing and with those changes health and safety regulations are also changing. Who would have thought in their wildest dreams that 'whole pork' can be safe to eat at 145 F ten years ago for instance.

'Sous vide' and 'low and slow' 200 F cooking is a bit hard for some people who have been cooking/roasting at screaming hot temperatures for ever to accept. Modern processing techniques are changing and with those changes health and safety regulations are also changing. Who would have thought in their wildest dreams that 'whole pork' can be safe to eat at 145 F ten years ago for instance.
I'm not surprised. I know why pork had to be overcooked: trichonella. I lived in Denmark where compulsory trichinoscopic examination of pork has been in effect since 1910 and the last time a pig was found to be infected with trichinae in Denmark, was 1930. I knew the US could cut down on the trichina risk. I'm glad to see it has been done.

Back
Top Bottom