What Is Everyone Doing New Years Eve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey guys :)

What is everyone doing on NYE?

Do you get up to anything special or relax at home?

Do you stay up till 12...to see in the new year?

We are just having a little buffet, like we do on Christmas Eve for our dinner and a few drinks and we will watch some movies, nice relaxed one :)

We're not big party types so we stay home with a bottle of champagne, shrimp cocktail, and other special appetizers.

I'm usually awake after midnight but SO is either in bed before or asleep on the sofa next to me.

Last edited:
We usually go out for breakfast that morning and stay in that night. Just don't want to become a victim around all the crazies who really should not be behind the wheel !

We watch a movie, have a few snacks and we always stay up to welcome the New Year.

It's always a quiet and nice celebration for us. :)

So sad that Dick Clark died this year. For so many years he brought NYE in New York for the entire country on TV. Somehow the Times Square celebration will never be the same for us old timers. When I was a teenager I loved to babysit the neighborhood kids and watch the excitement and coutdown in New York City on TV. My late husband and I went to a big party for the turn of the century, something we hadn't done in years, but that was very fun.

Steve and I will spend a quiet night this year with some cocktails and appetizers and likely be asleep shortly after midnight if not before.

We go out on New Years Eve for dinner at our favorite Chinese place.
Then it's home for birthday cake and we watch the new year come in. The grandkids sometimes spend the night this year not sure about that part but we will see.
kades

We rented a hotel room in town. The daughter (13 soon to be 14) asked a friend along. There is a fun pool/playland with a pool bar close by. Will probably eat & drink to much as we watch the ball drop in nyc.

Planning some appys and drinks, a nice meal, and some bubbly. Maybe, a special dessert.

I'm with MrsLMB, I don't want to be on the road with a bunch of drunks.

I'm going to a matinee of Les Miserables with my BFF and then we are going for an early dinner. I will probably stay at home by myself, watch Food Network Marathons that have been recording all week and wait for TB to come home just before midnight!

Me and the pups might splurge on a bag of pumpkin seeds (my "safe" snack and they love them - raw, unsalted, organic, and shelled of course! :cool:)

I'm not keen that TB is driving a bus around on New Year's Eve night, but I have learned to not worry about that which I can't control.

Last edited:
We stay in and try and relax. A nice meal, some tasty treats and a bottle of wine or champagne. Until two years ago we didn't dare go out anyways and we literally had to shut up the house, turn on all the a/c's and sedate the dogs because the firework and firecracker morons ruled the night. Now we have a fireworks ban and it's been much nicer. But here are still people buying illegal stuff and setting it on fire but it's much more sane now.

We hunker down and watch movies or something. I have a Inspector Clouseau/Pink Panther box set that we pull out or maybe my Hercule Poirot/ BBC Agatha Christie set. Old favorites.

A small gathering at my daughter's house in the valley. She's serving finger foods only and I'll be in charge of cooking chicken wings. I'm also taking my sleeping bag with me as I will most likely crash on the couch.

Jazzalley (Seattle's premier jazz club)...early show of Pablo Sanchez, latin jazz band. We wouldn't have done anything since my wife, oncology nurse, is working a 12 hour shift, but one of the docs she works with gave us the tickets. She meeting me there, hopefully she will have a chance to change out of scrubs.

Last edited:
i'm picking up something to make for dinner tomorrow afternoon with my family. probably shrimp for shrimp cocktail, and either "prime" rib steaks or lobsters.

then we'll have video game competitions for the rest of the night. my son got some new games for his wii: skylanders giants, just dance 3, the penguins of madagascar, and a snowboarding game with the wii balance board. it should be a lot of fun.

i'm supposed to be at work by 11pm, but i'll have to wait to see if any of the young guys are going to approach me with deals to come in earlier to let them go, and then they'll owe me coverage on another night.

lol, or they might just try to skip out early without telling anyone. the latter seems to be the way things are going with the younger generation of my coworkers. in years past, we always worked deals to make sure everything was covered, and our bosses unofficially knew about it but turned a blind eye so long as we had each other's backs. the young guys nowadays don't seem to mind risking their jobs and then act like nothing is wrong, or flat out lie when they are approached about it. or worse, they get indignant about it.

oh well, sorry about my rant. i'll still have my job nonetheless.

happy new year. :)

Last edited:
We're having a Braai (BBQ) with friends, a few drinks and snacks and maybe some fire crackers. My Children are allowed about a quarter glass of sparkling wine on NYE only so they stay up with us a toast to the New Year.

We usually stay home for New Year's Eve, but this year we are going to our church's first "New Year's Rockin' Eve." We are all bringing finger foods (I'm bringing fried mushrooms). We will eat, do fun stuff (lol - not sure what yet), have a music concert, and then from 11:30 to 12:30 we will have a prayer service. I am really looking forward to it! :cool:

Jazzalley (Seattle's premier jazz club)...early show of Pablo Sanchez, latin jazz band. We wouldn't have done anything since my wife, oncology nurse, is working a 12 hour shift, but one of the docs she works with gave us the tickets. She meeting me there, hopefully she will have a chance to change out of scrubs.

Now that sounds like a really wonderful evening Max! I'm jealous! I hope you both have a wonderful time!

Unless we have a limo and a nice place to go we stay home. I find it to be rookies night out and not my favorite holiday. We still get gunfire in the air so indoors at midnight is where we will be.(In bed and trying to sleep)

We wear earplugs on NYE here as so many houses around us play extremely loud thumping music all night and into the early hours, it is so annoying..the music doesnt have to be "that" loud...

A house across the road from us, there is a massive group of teenagers (dont know where their parents are) out in the backyard of the house with the music on soooooo loud, it started 30 minutes ago, when it was only 4.30pm...GREAT...NOT!! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom