100% rye bread water ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
I need to make rye bread that is not like cake. Wheat flour is not desirable but wheat gluten is ok.
I found info about how much gluten: 2 or 3 tbsp per cup of rye flour. I used a little sorghum flour for rising. May molasses would work better?
Unfortunately my first attempt turned in clay. I used yeast, and dry onion flakes with ground caraway in a ferment (50% water/ flour), then after kneading it I put it in my little oven with the pilot light and a thermometer in the dough, 100 degrees I thought was just under the edge of killing the yeast, but it seems to have killed it anyhow. Or maybe the yeast was not dissolved enough….?
I can’t find any recipes of the simple bread I want t make, they all call for cake ingredients. Why can’t bread be simple? I read long ago that pioneers would just add water to the bag of flour and let it soak in, and not have to measure any water to flour ratio. I can’t even find an ideal ratio; maybe I should just try that old method.

How does Maltodextrin improve the body??
Is there more than just gluten in wheat that makes it rise easier?? I have made enough bread bricks in my years to build a house. I am unable to follow recipes; I refuse to add salt, white flour or eggs & milk’ I may compromise on adding whole wheat flour.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cake ingredients", because I've never made a recipe that called for milk or eggs.

Bread can be simple, but by not using wheat flour or following recipes you are making it difficult for yourself, and I don't think there is much that anyone here can do to help.

You might try this website. Warning: it contains recipes.

Rye Bread Recipes

In Scandinavia they make 100% rye bread. It's a two or three day process and uses both yeast and sourdough. It makes a very heavy loaf that is sliced very thin, ~2mm.

So what your saying is, you cant help me because ...you have not made such bread.. or because you can't think past recipe's (not enough experience with variations of this sort.)

Well that's why I do not like recipes'; no room for variation. follow it exactly or forget it.

Does any one know how the Maltodextrin works?

Also a rule of thumb fro water ratio?

Cake used to be made with yeast before baking soda. And the only difference twixt that and bread is the eggs, milk, butter, and sweetener.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cake ingredients", because I've never made a recipe that called for milk or eggs.

Bread can be simple, but by not using wheat flour or following recipes you are making it difficult for yourself, and I don't think there is much that anyone here can do to help.

You might try this website. Warning: it contains recipes.

Rye Bread Recipes

Last edited:
Oh, wow, that is pretty rude there mister or Ms. I was going to tell you about my expirience with rye bread, that i have been experementing with for thelast few month, but i think I better not becasue I am afraid I may "not enough experience " for you.

It's always a good idea to follow the recipe the first time you make something. Then, start making variations.

So what your saying is, you cant help me because ...you have not made such bread.. or because you can't think past recipe's (not enough experience with variations of this sort.)
Well, I've been making my own bread for just over 20 years and I've probably made close to 1500 loaves in that time (and the vast majority have NOT been "bricks"). So I don't think lack of experience is the problem. ;)

What I think is exactly what Taxlady says: that you should start with tried and tested recipes, and then develop your own variations. I don't use many recipes anymore, but I did when I was learning.

Well I think that my problem was due to lack of yeast food or acidity.
Maltodextrin is any kind of fermented syrup; corn, barley, molasses, even agave.
I also think that most people do not know how to think analytically….In fact it looks like all recipes came from the same recipe long ago, just evolved. Isn’t that interesting?

I need to make rye bread that is not like cake. Wheat flour is not desirable but wheat gluten is ok.
I found info about how much gluten: 2 or 3 tbsp per cup of rye flour. I used a little sorghum flour for rising. May molasses would work better?
Unfortunately my first attempt turned in clay. I used yeast, and dry onion flakes with ground caraway in a ferment (50% water/ flour), then after kneading it I put it in my little oven with the pilot light and a thermometer in the dough, 100 degrees I thought was just under the edge of killing the yeast, but it seems to have killed it anyhow. Or maybe the yeast was not dissolved enough….?
I can’t find any recipes of the simple bread I want t make, they all call for cake ingredients. Why can’t bread be simple? I read long ago that pioneers would just add water to the bag of flour and let it soak in, and not have to measure any water to flour ratio. I can’t even find an ideal ratio; maybe I should just try that old method.

How does Maltodextrin improve the body??
Is there more than just gluten in wheat that makes it rise easier?? I have made enough bread bricks in my years to build a house. I am unable to follow recipes; I refuse to add salt, white flour or eggs & milk’ I may compromise on adding whole wheat flour.
Try a long cold ferment of a 50% rye flour and 50% water mix with upwards of 1 teaspoon of dry yeast. Ferment at ~65F for 12 - 18 hours. Then adjust consistency by stirring in enough additional water or flour to make the dough just too wet to knead. Refrigerate for 3 days, remixing daily. On the fourth day add another teaspoon or two of yeast, a like quantity of kosher salt and enough flour to make the dough kneadable. Knead untill the desired consistency is achieved. Form loaves, allow to rise covered in a 70F room for about 1 hour, slash and then bake in a preheated oven at a minimum temp of 375F.

100% sourdough rye

picture-0012.jpg

Sorry to have to say this but the loaf in the photo doesn't look very appetising.

Whilst I appreciate that very few writers on the subject know what they are talking about, you will find that they concur in the need to mix rye flour with strong wheat bread flour in order to achieve a bread with decent texture and flavour.

Sorry to have to say this but the loaf in the photo doesn't look very appetising.

Whilst I appreciate that very few writers on the subject know what they are talking about, you will find that they concur in the need to mix rye flour with strong wheat bread flour in order to achieve a bread with decent texture and flavour.
Unless you want Scandinavian style rye bread. :rolleyes: This loaf probably weighs about a kilo. :ohmy::LOL:

290_image_2818_1.jpg

... the need to mix rye flour with strong wheat bread flour in order to achieve a bread with decent texture and flavour.

Not necessary. Russians make pretty good rye bread, 100% rye that is and it is very good, using starters, or whatever it is called in English. No yeast is used.

Hello I'm from Morocco I hope that I will not be a guest heavy you liked this topic and would like to share thank you very much

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom