Solar Ovens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nita9

Assistant Cook
Anyone here ever tried a solar oven? Do they work well? I'm looking forward to the warmer months (ever the optimist), and I hate working in a hot kitchen!

I have never used one but the comments I have heard from those that have aren't overly promising. What are your expectations? Do you wish to replace your inside oven and cook three meals a day? So you just want to bake some bread occasionally?

What is your sun exposure like? If you are above the tropics you might find you don't have enough oomph.

Hey, thanks for the reply, Franz! It's my post here:)

We live in Virginia, so I guess it's mostly a "moderate" sun exposure. I'd maybe like to cook a casserole or occasionally bake a cake or some bread, maybe.

Hi, Nita. Welcome to DC :) I'm in Virginia, too. A long time ago, a neighbor told me they don't use the oven between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and neither do I, for the most part. I have a good-sized toaster oven I use for occasional roasting or baking; otherwise, if it can't be done using the microwave, stovetop or grill, it doesn't get done. Hth.

Hi GotGarlic! Well, well, another Virginian!

A toaster oven's a good idea. I hadn't thought about that. We use a grill fairly often, but there are times I just get tired of grilling, too. Especially when it comes to the time to clean the grills. Ickkk.

Oh, and Franz, I meant to say: "It's my FIRST post here".

Is stainless easier to clean, justplainbill? My grill only offers the type that has a coating. When that coating deteriorates, then everything sticks. Boo.

Just noticed that the company has a cast-iron grate that's dishwasher safe. I know a dishwasher won't clean all the grime, but at least it would get a good start on it!

+1 I preheat my grill with all burners on high for 10-15 minutes. Any residue is burned to ash and I brush it off with a wire brush. lean enough for the next meal.

Been known to stand under the patio umbrella with the weber , Egg or stick burner going with gator gusher rain, in the middle of a lightning storm. 92F outside.

I have one of those too. Still have to clean it.

Is stainless easier to clean, justplainbill? My grill only offers the type that has a coating. When that coating deteriorates, then everything sticks. Boo.

Just noticed that the company has a cast-iron grate that's dishwasher safe. I know a dishwasher won't clean all the grime, but at least it would get a good start on it!

+1 I preheat my grill with all burners on high for 10-15 minutes. Any residue is burned to ash and I brush it off with a wire brush. lean enough for the next meal.
Stainless is easier to clean in the sense that it's more resistant to oxidation..

Back
Top Bottom