Muslin in place of cheesecloth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why you couldn't. Old fashioned jelly bags are made of muslin. Folks also use clean tea and flour sack towels for straining stuff. As long as they're clean, why not?

Interesting website, BTW. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you use muslin you should wash it first. Many times muslin and other fabrics have a sizing in them.

I use women's stockings. All together why do you ask us, the link you provide has a raving reviws of the fabric.

For roasting a turkey, I use the oldest thinnest (clean) flour sack dish towel in the house. It covers the turkey and then I baste it on starting with some melted fat and then use a baster to drench the cloth periodic as the turkey roasts. Comes out brown and the meat is moist. Have to lift the cloth off Carefully so as not to pull the skin away when removing the turkey from the roasting pan.

Mmmm. ( As he falls off his chair from the memory of a turkey roasting in a slow oven) Double trouble= Go for a walk. Come back home. Now -- let your nose feast on the kitchen smells and aroma wafting from the oven. Heaven is wrapped in a roasting pan. I do not put a cover on my roasting pan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom