The Downton Abbey SPOILERS Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
So lets talk about what we've seen so far here in the western hemisphere. I know I've got a lot on my mind. This is the only British show/series that I recall watching and I'm not sure if some things are simply left unsaid or if they have no closure because they are going to come back to them.

Spoilers. You have been warned...

Patrick (or P Gordon): Is he going to crop up again later with some plastic surgery? He sure left suddenly. Hard to figure if they just dropped that storyline or what.

Daisy: What a twit. The moments leading up to her wedding with William were getting unbearable. Is she that naive? I like her character amongst the rest of the staff, but she's a hard one to read. I thought she was going to have a change of heart and move in with William's father there for a while. Especially with her becoming an accomplished person with skills and getting the money from the army... or didn't she get that yet? Another thing that was suddenly dropped. And did she ever find out about Thomas' "affiliation"? Another storyline that was suddenly dropped. If you picked up the show in season 2 you wouldn't even know.

O'Brien: Are you a good witch, or a bad witch? Looks like she's channeling her energies onto Thomas now. I was expecting her nephew Alfred to behave in much the same manner, but one O'Brien is enough as I never know whose side she's on. She obviously hates the family, but feels obligated now and shows signs of genuine compassion... another point for soap on a rope ;)

Thomas: What can you say, he's smart and conniving. For as many times as he's been fired, found out and implicated in his shenanigans I'm surprised the staff and he still eat at the same table. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer I guess.

Bates: I don't know what to say other than I think he did it, but they will probably come up with some preposterous conclusion to this storyline.

Matthew: Has he stopped working entirely now? He seems to have been assimilated into their lifestyle quite completely and this talk of what to do with the money was getting old quickly.

Isobel: Didn't they get rid of her by sending her off? Now she's back in every episode again. Why hasn't she tried to gain control or however she was threatening them by being so close?

Anna: The reason I keep watching the show :rolleyes: Probably the most stable character other than Robert and Cora.

Carson: Love that his character has remained true. He sure gets sick a lot though.

Mrs Huges: Became too much of a softy for my tastes. I liked her better when she was ordering people out of rooms they were dawdling in.

Isis: I wouldn't be me if I didn't say something about Isis. I much preferred season 1's Isis. Your typical English Lab you would expect Robert to own. Now he's got this perpetual puppy that just doesn't suit him IMO. She doesn't appear to be English at all.

Violet: I too like her off the cuff remarks that *barely* give opinion away.

I could go on, but I've typed enough already. I'd love to hear your opinions of the various characters and storylines.

Hmm given what I know do you really want me to answer any of these ? I'm not sure about having a spoilers thread !

Answer anything? Noooo... :blink:
This thread was for discussion/comments of what we have seen so far in the western hemisphere. From what I have gathered the UK has seen all of season 3. We are up to episode 2 (which is episode 3 UK).
Feel free to comment on any character developments, storylines or your opinions of the characters up to there :)

I am curious about the Christmas Special. Why aren't we getting it? I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and watch the UK version. For some reason I feel like Americans are getting the short end of the stick. Don't the powers that be realize that the world is now global? That America is bound to hear the truth about the show and what we are not allowed to see on the television? :angel:

I am curious about the Christmas Special. Why aren't we getting it? I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and watch the UK version. For some reason I feel like Americans are getting the short end of the stick. Don't the powers that be realize that the world is now global? That America is bound to hear the truth about the show and what we are not allowed to see on the television? :angel:

If I recall that one was a double episode. It felt longer than the rest anyway.

I'm in the western hemisphere and have seen them all! But I'll keep my trap shut.

I do enjoy reading everyone's reactions to the episodes.

I'm in the western hemisphere and have seen them all! But I'll keep my trap shut.

You saw them all, too?
I'll have to start sending in donations to PBS so I can get them early :LOL:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the characters. I'm a bit surprised more people haven't wanted to discuss what has been aired so far without fear of mentioning details :huh:

And geez, no mention of Mary's scandal yet in the papers? Don't tell me Richard just dropped it... enough time has passed, what with the wedding and all.

I'm also curious how you already saw them all. I know Michelle Obama was given the privilege after her request last summer but.........?

Also, everyone keeps talking about this Christmas special. Is there something I'm missing?
I've seen the Christmas episode with the proposal. Is there another one?

Last edited:
At the end of each season, before the next one, there is a longer show shown on Christmas day, they call it a "christmas special". Other series do this as well, Dr. Who for instance.

I use a proxy which makes my computer look like it is located in London. I can stream stuff that is only accessible from UK ip addresses.

Also you can download it, if that's your thing, it's probably not the right thing to do, but it is a show that is shown for free, so not really any different than recording it on a DVR

Last edited:
At the end of each season, before the next one, there is a longer show shown on Christmas day, they call it a "christmas special". Other series do this as well, Dr. Who for instance.

I use a proxy which makes my computer look like it is located in London. I can stream stuff that is only accessible from UK ip addresses.

Also you can download it, if that's your thing, it's probably not the right thing to do, but it is a show that is shown for free, so not really any different than recording it on a DVR

So where do I go without a UK ip addy to download that "Christmas Special"?

I just saw that on January 29th amazon will have the entire season, including the Christmas special available for purchase to download.

Been there bought it :)
They were nice enough to credit the three episodes I already purchased this season.

Okay. I think I understand. Does this Christmas Special have a bearing on the plot of the whole show? And if it does, because I am on a very fixed income, should I seriously consider purchasing this Special? I have never been one to purchase the 'whole' series of any show. But there has been talk of 'GBH (our local PBS) showing the whole series of the original "Upstairs, Downstairs" again. I hope so. If they do I will record that one. I wish I had known how hooked I would get into this one. I would have started to record it from day one.

As you can see, I am sooooo hooked on this dang show. I just wish they had filmed at least half of the next season each time they show a season so we wouldn't have to wait so long in between. :)sad:) :angel:

... I will record that one. I wish I had known how hooked I would get into this one. I would have started to record it from day one. :angel:

I recorded the O.J.Simpson trial way back when, but I've never wanted to look at that travesty again.

I think the Lady Mary scandal will rear its ugly head again, whether it's brought about by Richard or forced out of a 'friendly' on the staff. I wonder if that sequence was drawn from actual happenings by Fellowes.

Not surprised that there was such a serious pecking order in the staff - the mealtimes downstairs are so interesting.

I'm not keen on the line regarding Isobel's good works, but Fellowes casts a wide net on the social mores of the period so neither is that surprising.

I recorded the O.J.Simpson trial way back when, but I've never wanted to look at that travesty again.

I think the Lady Mary scandal will rear its ugly head again, whether it's brought about by Richard or forced out of a 'friendly' on the staff. I wonder if that sequence was drawn from actual happenings by Fellowes.

Not surprised that there was such a serious pecking order in the staff - the mealtimes downstairs are so interesting.

I'm not keen on the line regarding Isobel's good works, but Fellowes casts a wide net on the social mores of the period so neither is that surprising.

My first husband grew up on the property of the Lord Cumberland. His father was the choir master for the family church. He would tell my kids about his childhood there. One of the stories he told them was of "a shoot". My husband and other kids that lived on the estate at the time would sit on the fence and watch them eating their picnic. When they were done, the left over food would go into a large trash container. The kids would sit there hungry watching them toss all that good food away. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom