Substitute for yogurt in Greek recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrustyw

Assistant Cook
My new girlfriend is highly allergic to yogurt. I love several Greek dishes that include yogurt - such as moussaka or tzatziki. Is there a good substitute for Greek yogurt in these kinds of dishes? I found a few recipes that suggest cottage cheese. I was wondering if anyone here has tried it or has other suggestions.
Thanks!
Rusty

Is it just the yogurt she has a problem with or does it extend to other dairy? I know you mention cottage cheese, but is she ok with that?

Welcome to DC!

Thanks for the welcome...
She says it is only yogurt and all other dairy is OK. She can even eat frozen yogurt. This puzzles me - but she says she worked with a doctor and did the food journal process to narrow it down. Anything with yogurt - even cooked or yogurt coated raisins - will give her vicious migraines. But she is OK with all other dairy - including frozen yogurt.

I thought about sour cream since yogurt is often substituted the other way. And a bit of looking after your post reveals some 'sour cream, cucumber and dill dips' that sound remarkably like tzatziki. I'll give that a try. How much lemon juice would you suggest? And any other modifications if the recipe is baked?
Thanks!

i agree about the sour cream, but would add red wine vinegar if you're goin' tsatsiki.

i'll lookk for my tastsiki recipe that i think i posted here in a little while

I usually use labne instead if yogurt (yummier in my opinion) not sure if its too similar to yogurt thought

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I'm having a hard time understanding what component yogurt has that sour cream doesn't? Many people are allergic to lactose, but that's the component of all dairy.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the difference might be between frozen yogurt and anything else with yogurt... It's a peculiar food allergy. Definitely not lactose since she eats plenty of other dairy with no issues. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try sour cream for the dishes this weekend and I'll let you know whether a) it's tasty and b) it makes her sick...

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I'm having a hard time understanding what component yogurt has that sour cream doesn't? Many people are allergic to lactose, but that's the component of all dairy.

I'm happy to report that sour cream works beautifully in cooked dishes. I couldn't tell the difference between that and yogurt in the moussaka. The tzatziki with sour cream tasted slightly peculiar to me - but everyone else liked it, so that appears to be a success as well. I just did a direct one for one substitution between the two. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom