Saute? Fry? What's the difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I consider sauteing as cooking things on med high heat, stirring or moving the ingredients around, usually in preparation to add more stuff to incorporate everything into one dish.
I consider frying as a method to cook something then take it out of the oil or butter and eat it like that, usually on high(ish) heat. Usually promoting some kind of browning or crisping, Like an egg or piece of meat, etc....
But, then again, what do I know??:p

Last edited:
I always thought it was the amount of fat used and the temperature was higher if you were frying. Interesting question. I wonder how far off he mark I am. =o)

What do you consider is the difference between frying and sauteing?

One you can use EVOO and the other you can't.
:ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty sure they are either interchangeable or overlap some... possibly a lot. At least to me. Sauteed foods I may tend to move around more in the pan more.

The difference is the source of heat working on the food.

I think of saute as cooking something using primarily the direct heat of the pan in contact with the food, any fat that is used being present to lubricate the pan, since it usually refers to smaller pieces of food that will be moved about and would otherwise tend to stick.

Frying, then, is cooking by contact with hot fat, essentially a high heat alternative to boiling, those temperatures being impossible with water.

The terms are sometimes blurred. A "fried" steak is usually actually sauteed, rather than cooked by immersion in hot oil. Bacon, however, cooking in a pan, is truly fried, since it quickly generates the fat that does the cooking. And I think it will always be "fried" egg, remembering that classic fried eggs are cooked in considerably more fat than you often see today.

At first I thought it was the amount of fat, but you "fry an egg" and "saute sliced mushrooms" in the same amount of fat. Maybe it's moving the food around for saute? One would never say I'm going to saute an egg. Hmmm, just one more thing to confuse me. Thanks a bunch Taxi. :glare:;)

I usually think of sauteing when I'm going to end up with some sauce around little pieces like mushrooms or onions. If I'm frying something, I think it's going to end up sort of, hopefully, with some crispy areas.

I think of saute as cooking something using primarily the direct heat of the pan in contact with the food, any fat that is used being present to lubricate the pan, since it usually refers to smaller pieces of food that will be moved about and would otherwise tend to stick.

Frying, then, is cooking by contact with hot fat, essentially a high heat alternative to boiling, those temperatures being impossible with water...

This is my understanding of the difference.

Frying, then, is cooking by contact with hot fat, essentially a high heat alternative to boiling, those temperatures being impossible with water.

The terms are sometimes blurred. A "fried" steak is usually actually sauteed, rather than cooked by immersion in hot oil. Bacon, however, cooking in a pan, is truly fried, since it quickly generates the fat that does the cooking. And I think it will always be "fried" egg, remembering that classic fried eggs are cooked in considerably more fat than you often see today.

+1

To me saute' suggests more constant motion. More of a verb.

While fry seems more stationary. When frying an egg or chicken leg it tends to stay in the same spot until it's time to turn it.

+1

To me saute' suggests more constant motion. More of a verb.

While fry seems more stationary. When frying an egg or chicken leg it tends to stay in the same spot until it's time to turn it.

This is also true. It goes along with the base definition.

shallow fry is how i do fried chicken. sort of a braise, but using high temp oil, lol, just to confuse things more.

shallow fry is how i do fried chicken. sort of a braise, but using high temp oil, lol, just to confuse things more.

That's how I do fried chicken, too... when I'm not picking it up at the grocery store ;) They make some good fried chcken.

And not to add to the confusion :angel:
When I start my chicken & biscuits tonight I will be sweating the veggies in EVOO... not to be confused with sauteing. I don't want brown.

That's how I do fried chicken, too... when I'm not picking it up at the grocery store ;) They make some good fried chcken.

And not to add to the confusion :angel:
When I start my chicken & biscuits tonight I will be sweating the veggies in EVOO... not to be confused with sauteing. I don't want brown.

Sweating is low temp, and when we did it in cooking school, we put a circle of parchment paper over the veggies, creating a little steam room to contain and condense the water vapor and return it to the pan.

Google to the rescue!

Look at this article from The Reluctant Gourmet

I think the difference between the two is more related to the amount of oil rather than the size of the food pieces being cooked.

e.g. If I cook a chicken breast half in a glaze of oil, I'm pan frying. What am I doing if I cut it in half first? Is it still pan frying or is it sauteing? What if I cut it into three pieces? ...or four, or more. How many pieces does it have to be before it changes from fry to sauté? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Correct, Rick. Sweating is done at low temp and often over crowding.

Back
Top Bottom