Your thoughts on Chicago Cuttlery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I_M_Baker

Assistant Cook
@ walmart they have a decently priced brand of kitchen knives by Chicago Cutlery that I have found to be quite good. They are very durable and they hold an edge for a long time. They are easy to sharpen and they are solid stainless steel. Have you ever used this brand before? what are your thoughts?

I gave Jr. a set one year. It included quite a few knives as a package deal and after several years, he often remarks how he still likes them.

20 years ago I bought a set of CC Walnut handled knives. It was my first set and it cost me $99. It was a decent set and served me well as my primary knives for years until I received a set of Henckels Professional S for a gift.

I still use the CC knives on occasion and take a couple on vacation to our timeshare each year.

That said, there is no guarantee the current sets are better, worse or as good.

My chef's knife is not marked, but I am pretty sure it is CC. It is stainless with a black handle, and I love it. I am sure it didn't cost more than $20--it is probably 10 or 11 years old.

I've had a 6 inch CC chefs knife for about 25 years and I still use it regularly.

I'd worry a little about current quality, though.

My parents have had CC for years. They do sharpen well. I have a couple of them (including one of my chef's knives), a boning knife, and a paring knife--mine are probably 25-30 years old). The ones my parents have are the ones with the wooden handles (as are mine). My parents seem to have about 5-6 of the boning knives (from when they had a summer place on Lake of the Woods and a winter house). They did a lot of fishing, so the "filleting" knives were for cleaning fish.

I have three sets of knives - my Pro set of Mac knives that NOBODY touches but me; three Chicago cutlery knives and at the bottom of the scale a block of "Betty Crocker" knives we got as a wedding present many moons ago (TB loves these).

The CC knives are great. I actually like the chef knife better than Mac for chopping garlic and herbs. The bread knife is awesome! I have to cut TB's gluten free bread half frozen sometimes and it goes through it like butter.

My parents had a set of Chicago Cutlery knives that they got for a wedding gift in 1947. When I got my first apartment (1980) they gifted me those knives and bought a new set for themselves. I used them daily up until about 2006, when I finally began replacing them with some newer Japanese knives. The set is now about 65 years old. I still use pieces of it occasionally, for example the cleaver and the meat slicer. That's a pretty good testament, I think.

Having said that, I haven't looked at CC in stores for quite some time, so I don't know if the quality of the newer knives is as good as that of my parents' old set.

@ walmart they have a decently priced brand of kitchen knives by Chicago Cutlery that I have found to be quite good. They are very durable and they hold an edge for a long time. They are easy to sharpen and they are solid stainless steel. Have you ever used this brand before? what are your thoughts?

I have one good, forged, Chicago Cutlery 8" chef's knife, and I use it a lot. It holds a good edge, and it's comfortable in my hand. I got it from my mother's kitchen after she passed away, and she was noted for never having a sharp knife. It was quite dull when I got it, but I ran it through all 3 stages of my Chef's Choice sharpener and it's been great ever since. I don't know where her's was purchased (I think that it was a knife shop in the mall), but I know that my sister is the one who bought it for her.

I have a CC boning and 8" Chefs knife with walnut handles. I have some other knives, but go for these two the most. They sharpen real quick with a couple of draws through on my hand held sharpener. I gave my Chef's Choice electric sharpener to my son along with my 12" Shun knife. I paid $25 for the boning knife at a Kitchen store. I also paid the same for the Chef's knife. They really hold an edge and sharpen up real nice. These two knives get quite a workout in my kitchen. :angel:

I gave my Chef's Choice electric sharpener to my son along with my 12" Shun knife.
Addie, make sure your son doesn't use the electric sharpener with the Shun knife, unless it's the Chef's Choice Asian model. Otherwise the guides are at the wrong angle and will ruin the blade.

Addie, make sure your son doesn't use the electric sharpener with the Shun knife, unless it's the Chef's Choice Asian model. Otherwise the guides are at the wrong angle and will ruin the blade.

He knows. He will take it to W-S for sharpening when needed. It was given to me as a gift. In my small hands it is like a sword. :angel:

I bought my set of Chicago Cutlery knives in 1991. I am happy with them except that the wood handles absorb stuff and get grungy -- I need to oil them often.

But, here is a review of Chicago Cutlery knives that I saw on Amazon today:

I am in the food industry and have some great "old" Chicago knives. Some of my knives are over 50 years old and still going strong. They have great blades that sharpen easily and wear well.

I bought a vacation home recently and one of the first thing I bought for the kitchen was this set of Chicago Cutlery. I was angry when I saw what Chicago Cutlery has done to the quality of their product. Poor grade thin steel blades that feel like toy knives with handles of cheap poor quality wood.
Stay away from these knives...do not reward them for destroying a great American Tradition.
They should be forced to give up the Name......​

Apparently, Chicago is no different from many other products, in that they offer different levels of quality. Just the other day I saw a pair of what appears to be stamped Chicago Cutlery knives with wood handles in a blister pack in a store here on the island.

The 8" chef that I have is forged with a bolster, and the handle is not wood, but some sort of high quality black plastic. If not for the label, I couldn't tell it from my Wusthof Classics. If anything, the edge seems to hold up better than the Wusthof knives.

I know that this knife is no more than 10 years old because that is about when my sister bought it for my mom.

I picked up a set of CC knives from Goodwill the other day (I couldn't find the block), for like $12. I got them for camping & going to the Burning Man Festival.

Since they are wood (walnut?) handles .. should I put a thin coat of cutting board oil on them? why not?

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 270
I picked up a set of CC knives from Goodwill the other day (I couldn't find the block), for like $12. I got them for camping & going to the Burning Man Festival.

Since they are wood (walnut?) handles .. should I put a thin coat of cutting board oil on them? why not?
Yes. I apply several coats of a mineral oil & paraffin mixture at 24 hour intervals. After the last application, I wrap the treated handles in dry film wax paper and store in a warm dry place for a month or more, turning weekly; then I unwrap and buff the handles to remove any remaining excess oil.
You might want to clean the handles with turpentine before performing the above described procedure.

Last edited:
i just bought my wife a chicago cutlery chef's knife for about $20 in a kiychen outlet store.

it's the fusion 7.75" chef's knife: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicago-Cutlery-Fusion-7.75-Chef-Knife/11165340

it feels really good to me, well balanced and pretty sharp.

but so far, she has yet to take it out of it's sheath, preferring to use some really crappy qvc special wolfgang puck knives. i think she's afraid of using a good, sharp knife. :(

I have those same knives. They were my first "good" knives. They are walnut handles. If you have some fine sandpaper or steel wool, give the handles a once over to remove surface crud and open the wood grain. Then a light coating of mineral oil and let it sit overnight. In the morning wipe off the excess. Repeat as needed.

My set is about 15 years old and I still use them for vacation knives.

Back
Top Bottom