Vetkoek (SA fatcakes) alla Snip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
My fatcake recipe as requested by Z :)

6 and a half cups of all purpose flour
2 tsps of salt
2 tbsps of sugar
1 pkt of instant dry yeast
Lukewarm water to mix

Vegetable oil for frying

Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.

Sift flour and salt.

Pour yeast water into flour mix and knead while adding more water till you have a bread dough consistency. Knead till the dough is smooth.

Cover mixing bowl with a damp cloth and allow dough to rise for 60 mins in a warm place.

Devide dough into tennis ball size pieces. Flatten each piece slightly in the palm of your hand.

Deep fry in 375 F oil till golden on both sides.

Drain on kitchen paper.

Serve fatcakes filled with curried ground beef or jam and cheese etc.

Regular bread dough from the supermarket can be used too if you don't like making your own.

Enjoy!

Here's a pic of the net, sorry don't have my own pic but they look like this...

My fatcake recipe as requested by Z :)

6 and a half cups of all purpose flour
2 tsps of salt
2 tbsps of sugar
1 pkt of instant dry yeast
Lukewarm water to mix

Vegetable oil for frying

Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.

Sift flour and salt.

Pour yeast water into flour mix and knead while adding more water till you have a bread dough consistency. Knead till the dough is smooth.

Cover mixing bowl with a damp cloth and allow dough to rise for 60 mins in a warm place.

Devide dough into tennis ball size pieces. Flatten each piece slightly in the palm of your hand.

Deep fry in 375 F oil till golden on both sides.

Drain on kitchen paper.

Serve fatcakes filled with curried ground beef or jam and cheese etc.

Regular bread dough from the supermarket can be used too if you don't like making your own.

Enjoy!

Here's a pic of the net, sorry don't have my own pic but they look like this...

Here where I live, we call your recipe - scones, or if made with baking powder instead of yeast, fry bread.

I know that scones are something entirely different than the yeast-risen fry bread. But it's a regional thing around here. Most folks around here don't use correct terminology for food recipes. Our goulash is simply elbow macaroni tossed with a rich tomato-based pasta sauce, with browned ground beef and sliced onion.

In any case, I love your recipe, as it mimics my own. Isn't it crazy that we make the same thing, on opposite sides of the planet? It's so cool. Food really is universal.

Picture of our girl, Snip = :chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Here where I live, we call your recipe - scones, or if made with baking powder instead of yeast, fry bread.

I know that scones are something entirely different than the yeast-risen fry bread. But it's a regional thing around here. Most folks around here don't use correct terminology for food recipes. Our goulash is simply elbow macaroni tossed with a rich tomato-based pasta sauce, with browned ground beef and sliced onion.

In any case, I love your recipe, as it mimics my own. Isn't it crazy that we make the same thing, on opposite sides of the planet? It's so cool. Food really is universal.

And what you call goulash we call American Chop Suey. Although we use a large can of American tomatoes. A great quick meal as you coming running through the door when you get home from work and have hungry kids to feed. :angel:

Thanks Chief :chef:
It is strange how we have so many food similarities but don't know since they are called different names. Did that make sense?! Still half asleep :LOL:
The only difference between the recipe for fatcakes and bread is the use of all purpose flour. It gives the fatcakes a softer texture.

And what you call goulash we call American Chop Suey. Although we use a large can of American tomatoes. A great quick meal as you coming running through the door when you get home from work and have hungry kids to feed. :angel:

Strange isn't it? Our tomato sauce = your ketchup, your pasties= our pies, your pies= are our tarts etc etc :LOL:

...it's a regional thing around here. Most folks around here don't use correct terminology for food recipes. Our goulash is simply elbow macaroni tossed with a rich tomato-based pasta sauce, with browned ground beef and sliced onion.
Chief, we also call that same dish "goulash" in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa (I've lived in all three states). Add in Michigan, and we're talking about a combined area that's physically larger than a lot of countries. So it's a big region. At the very least, I think we can call it "Midwest-style Goulash". :LOL:

Snip, your recipe sounds very tasty!

Chief, we also call that same dish "goulash" in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa (I've lived in all three states). Add in Michigan, and we're talking about a combined area that's physically larger than a lot of countries. So it's a big region. At the very least, I think we can call it "Midwest-style Goulash". :LOL:

Snip, your recipe sounds very tasty!

Thank you Steve :)

I've made Hungarian Gulyas before, both ways, the kind like a stew and the kind like a soup. Good stuff. All you really need is a lot of paprika :LOL:
6 plated.jpg

But in Pennsylvania and the midwest goulash is considered either shells or elbows in tomato sauce with green peppers and hamburger. A great one pot meal... or side in this case :pig:
goulash & pork steak.jpg

Oh, to keep this on topic, some of Snip's fat cakes would be great with this! :angel:

Oh, to keep this on topic, some of Snip's fat cakes would be great with this! :angel:

Thanks Pac ! Smaller fatcakes are great rolled in cinnamon sugar too :yum:
I make golf ball size cakes and roll them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar and add some orange or lemon zest to the dough.

To stray off again for a minute - goulash in northeast ohio was like pac said - with lots of paprika, a slavic recipe.

Back
Top Bottom