Dinner Saturday 2nd February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight for dinner we are making a beef mince pasta and also Jamies Olivers garlic bread :chef:

I have to get some sleep for Friday night first! Can't even think about what's cooking for Saturday, yet.

Hopefully last night's dinner plans will carry over to tonight, but I am making chili this afternoon, so I might have to have a bowl of that.

I bought this lovely beef shank, want to do something with it....tomato-based? Not sure what yet, but working on a plan..... doesn't it look great? what would you do with it?

beef%20shank.JPG

The freezer is bare but my dad is coming for a visit this evening. He lives about an hour from here so he will go home tonight. We'll go out to eat somewhere with him. He like to eat out when he "travels" even if it's a short trip.

I bought this lovely beef shank, want to do something with it....tomato-based? Not sure what yet, but working on a plan..... doesn't it look great? what would you do with it?

beef%20shank.JPG
i'd brown it, then add some carrots, onions, celery, garlic, tomato paste, and beef stock and cook it down until it was fork tender, then reduce the liquids into a gravy and serve it over mashed spuds or orzo.

I made the best beef barley soup with beef shanks, first browned then cooked on low in the CP. The marrow melted and the meat fell off the bone. I finished with the remaining ingredients on the stove top.

beef%20shank.JPG
I'm in the Bucky camp. I would cook it up like Osso Bucco. Long, slow braising period with a can of diced tomatoes. Maybe even glug some wine in there if that is your thing... But that's just me.....

Last edited:
Not sure what we'll be having. Glenn's son and wife called a little while ago to invite us to dinner at their house tonight. They had their first child last Sunday so I imagine some of the "invite" has to do with showing off their new son. We saw him last Sunday afternoon at the hospital but it will be nice to see him in his own habitat.:) I loaned them the cradle all my children used so that will be bittersweet to see a baby in it once again. My children used it for their children, too. It's gotten quite a workout in it's 40+ years.

I always hate to go empty handed when we go to someone's home for a meal, so I'm going to bring along one of the loaves of roasted garlic-rosemary bread I made last week. If it doesn't go with the meal, they'll have it for some meal during the week.

We'll also be bringing our granddog, Baxter, back to his home. We picked him up last Saturday because our Harley was whining like a nut, which always means she needs a "Baxter fix." They've been playmates since they were puppies and have a blast together. Kenneth says Baxter gets goofy if there's too much time between their play dates.

Still no idea, we are headed to Costco soon, so I'll take a look there.

Last edited:
I threw some chunks o' pig in the CP along with some onion and Mexican fruit spice and chicken broth. We'll see if it gets done in time for dinner. Plan is pulled pork with Bone Sucking sauce. Will make some of Chef Maloney's World's Best salad dressing for the greenery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom