How to clean my stainless steel pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artofcooking

Assistant Cook
Okay, so I've messed up my stainless steel pot this time. :)
I had been using it for steaming/boiling vegetables just fine. However, a month back I let it boil dry, leading to a lot of burns in the pot. Luckily, I was able to clean off these stains with a Scotch heavy duty scrub sponge, but still I could see some rainbow-colored stains on the bottom of the pan (soap?), which I could not clean off.

Anyhow, I heated up the pot on my stove and dropped in a tablespoon of corn oil. Suddenly, a huge FIRE started inside my pot. I was going to throw in water, but remembered I heard this was bad so I instead covered it with the lid and the flame went out. This was a week ago and the pot is still unwashed and dry.

How should I go about cleaning it? Can I use it for only steaming/boiling in future?

Thank you and I am still learning!! Be kind to the newbie ;)

ForumRunner_20130202_161327.png

ForumRunner_20130202_161336.png

ForumRunner_20130202_161348.png

Hi, artofcooking. First, put some water in the pan - enough to cover the burned material - and bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and use a wooden spatula to scrape off as much of the burned stuff as possible. Rinse the pan and set aside to dry.

Get some Barkeeper's Friend. It's a great scrubbing material for SS pans/pots. Follow the directions on the package. Hth.

Good recommendation from GotGarlilc. However, before starting her process I would let the pot soak over night with water and baking soda. Then rinse and see if some of the burned in material on the bottom hs come loose. Don't be too impatient with the process of getting the pot back to prime shape. If it is good stainless steel, if should be fine.

I've boiled a solution of white vinegar and baking soda in an old pan with burnt on crud, and that worked for me.

A few years ago I saw a program in British TV on eco-friendly cleaning techniques. They filled the pot with water and boiled rhubarb till the pot came clean.

I've noticed that when I make apple sauce, the pot is extra shiny. Perhaps a similar chemical reaction happens there too (but the pot wasn't as badly burned).

I resorted to oven cleaner once after all else failed in a similar situation. My SIL burned oil on her all clad saucepan.

Okay, so I boiled white vinegar and baking soda and scrubbed a lot using some flat head metal tools (my brush was ineffective). The comet detergent I tried earlier didn't work.
I got a lot of gunk off, but still a lot remains. I guess this will take a few days...

My pot has also gotten quite scratched up. Are these harmful to health or cooking? Should I avoid adding more scratches?

Okay, so I boiled white vinegar and baking soda and scrubbed a lot using some flat head metal tools (my brush was ineffective). The comet detergent I tried earlier didn't work.
I got a lot of gunk off, but still a lot remains. I guess this will take a few days...

My pot has also gotten quite scratched up. Are these harmful to health or cooking? Should I avoid adding more scratches?
It shouldn't be harmful as long as scratches aren't too deep. Just don't do anything to scratch it more. You should never put Comet into your pan. the powdered version of BarKeepers Friend is your best friend and will not damage your pot. You should use plastic scrubbies...not metal. It's going to take some elbow grease but if it's a good pan, it'll be worth it. If it's a really cheap pan, it might not be worth it.

Baking soda has never worked for me either.

Take it outside and spray it with foam oven cleaner. Let it sit out overnight.

Rinse and then go after it with Barkeepers Friend -- not Comet -- and elbow grease with a plastic not metal scrubbing pad.

You may have to do this a few times but it worked like a charm (eventually got 100 off and shiny like new) for me

I have taken a well dampened dryer sheet to loosen the crud on the bottom of the pan. Worked like a charm for me. :angel:

Omg, bar keepers friend is my friend!
Some gloves, a scotch scratch sponge, and 20 minutes later... my pot was shining clean!

Thanks for the suggestion!

ForumRunner_20130218_191931.png

ForumRunner_20130218_191940.png

Congrats for the success.

My burned pot's cleaning process starts with:
Step 1: boiling soapy water and scrub with green scotchbright.
Not working?, step 2: add some vinegar or mild acid, soak and softly scrub. (baking soda doesn't work for this case, but does great when you need 'looking new' pot.)
Still not working?, step 3: Barkeeper's Friend. Yeah, it's truly my best (cookware's) friend.

Okay, so I've messed up my stainless steel pot this time. :)
I had been using it for steaming/boiling vegetables just fine. However, a month back I let it boil dry, leading to a lot of burns in the pot. Luckily, I was able to clean off these stains with a Scotch heavy duty scrub sponge, but still I could see some rainbow-colored stains on the bottom of the pan (soap?), which I could not clean off.

Anyhow, I heated up the pot on my stove and dropped in a tablespoon of corn oil. Suddenly, a huge FIRE started inside my pot. I was going to throw in water, but remembered I heard this was bad so I instead covered it with the lid and the flame went out. This was a week ago and the pot is still unwashed and dry.

How should I go about cleaning it? Can I use it for only steaming/boiling in future?

Thank you and I am still learning!! Be kind to the newbie ;)

View attachment 17008

View attachment 17009

View attachment 17010
Two hints:

#1. The pan looks a bit far gone but you could try filling with a solution of warm water and biological laundry detergent for example Ariel, and soaking over night. It might take 2 or 3 or more goes.

#2. Never add cold oil to a hot pan. Always put it in while the pot is cold and heat gently.

EDIT: Note to self - finish reading the thread before replying. (sigh!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom